What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Klima-Gro KG4000, indoor greenhouse - any good for growing Nepenthes, CP's?

I have found a used Klima-Gro KG4000, indoor greenhouse for a decent price but was curious if anyone has had any experience with these or something simular and if it would work well to grow my Nepenthes and other CP's in? Here is the website for the unit as well. http://www.klimagro.com/products/products.html

Thanks for any help or feedback!

Lee

i have never had one, or heard of one, let alone grown nepenthes in one, but seeing the web site makes me REEEEALLLYYY want one! (unfortunately, they are wayyy to expensive for me to get one)

that looks absolutely perfect for growing nepenthes in! you should definately get it, i would LOVE to se pics of it filled with neps and cps if you do!

(i have only been growing cps for 2-3 years, and only got my first nepenthes about a month ago, but i have read alot of stuff about how to grow them. still, im a noob with neps so take my opinion with a grain of salt.)

Those enclosures are similar to some commercial orchidariums which are available -- and even more costly. They are basically Edwardian cases, with lighting and thermostats. They would work just fine; so too would a cobbled together aquarium with lights, at a fraction of the price . . .

Thanks BigBella, I can pick this one up for $200 and figured I'd be hard pressed to set up a tank, add lighting, etc. but didn't want to spend that amount if the unit would be incompatible for my needs. Thanks again.

Well, for $200, go for it. It's a little on the short side for growing Nepenthes long term, to even build something similar from an aquarium, you'll end up spending more than that price. This would be great for Heliamphora, cephs, or dews; things that don't eventually get tall and vine.

cant you just prune them, or keep slow growing/smaller species?

Well, a huge bummer today...I told the lady selling the unit I wanted it and would pick it up today. I drove 2 hrs one way and when I arrived she "kindly" informed me she had sold it on Friday and had been meaning to let me know :censor: sooo, in an effort to salvage my dream of a larger Nep setup I picked up an old 55 hex tank I had stashed in our old storage unit. It needs to be cleaned up and I'll need to work out a way to seal it up for humidty and work out lighting but I'm hoping it will be ok enough to make due for awhile anyway...

Guess it wasn't my day...uggg.

That's too bad! However for about $200, if you want to grow Nepenthes in something, why not go with a tent rather than an aquarium/glass type unit? Much more space, and tall enough for Nepenthes to flower in...

EDITED BY ADNEDARN

The company that you linked to with the hydroponic grow tent has emailed me and threatened that I must remove their link for some reason I don't quite understand.... Please do not link to them again, I have added their site to our block list.
Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link Taargus...I guess my main reason for not going the tent way is I enjoy looking at them and seeing them. I can't see zip them up in a mylar tent where the only way to enjoy them is to sneak a peak now and then. I may end up with something like that in the long run but I'll see how my 55 hex works out. Got it all setup this afternoon and almost have a homemade fogger unit worked out and functioning for it as well. Thanks again.

Back