Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good deal on Turface

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taargus View Post
    I've used Turface in with cacti and some orchid mixes, haven't noticed this to be a problem yet, but then again I wash, sterilize, and reuse every year or two, (LECA as well, I love the reusable stuff.) If you use it for Heliamphora, about how often do you think the mix should be switched out before build up becomes an issue? Shouldn't it last for quite some time if you are using mostly rain, distilled, or RO water with minor fertilization? I can't imagine buildup would happen faster than it does in an orchid pot that gets tons of fertilizer in comparison over the course of a year.
    I can only speak for myself....

having said that, I have never had to change it out or clean it in any of my helis. I also have a cactus or two in it, again... its never been a problem even using my tap water in that application (my tap is 200ppm but I always water my plants till it runs out the bottom, so I guess I flush each time)

But I do know the issue does occur for some... probably several variables at play.

fwiw, my RODI is 0ppm TDS but my Heli water reservoir is usually about 20ppm and I change out the reservoir when it gets about 40ppm

Personally, I feel 0ppm is neither natural nor desirable for plant use, but does make some great sun tea and ice cubes woohoo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few pings growing in 100% turface. Since repotted I've gotten the best growth from them this way. I have a few utrics that arnt growing very well. I would love to know which mixes people use for those.

I just repotted some cephs in mostly turface. Hoping to get similar results as others who used turface.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorta off topic but I have a ceph that has been in Miracle Grow potting soil for years and loves it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Sorta off topic but I have a ceph that has been in Miracle Grow potting soil for years and loves it
    Now that is very intriguing. I don't have enough plant material to play with yet but I suspect that cephs use their roots more than we know. Your experiment fuels I'm interest and intent to find out just how much they do so.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephs (can) get over 70% of their nutrients from roots, more than any other CP that I have seen peer reviewed research on... ;-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I've read one scientific study that menctioned that.

Did you mix the miracle gro with turface?
    Have you tried other ferts on cephs?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I just stuck a ceph in a pot full of Miracle Grow to see what would happen.... that was probably 3 yrs ago and its still going strong.

I have tried a ceph in 100% APS, but it is too inert imho.... unless you fed it, growth stopped.
    I use to fert my cephs quite a bit.... they loved it.

There are some old pics floating around, other than my one in potting soil I don't grow them anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    Keep it out of your Nepenthes pots if you want decent root growth..
    Mikulas would respectfully disagree with that. If you sift out the smaller particles it should make a nice, airy mix.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123