What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good deal on Turface

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Stopped by John Deere Landscaping in Lexington, Ky. on my way to Ohio for the weekend.
Got two 50lb bags of Turface MVP* for 11$ a bag woot woot!!

*it is specially labeled for JDL as Turface "All Sport"

I should not need any more for many moons!

Locations: https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/home/locations.aspx

Av

cool! I guess..
what is it?

Scot

generic version of APS
(aquatic plant soil)

some use it in their cp soil mixes

That is a deal. My bag cost twice that much!

Not a bad deal at all! I got mine for around the same price because I work at a farm and garden center, and get a 30% discount. It's good stuff. It was a lot less iron in it than APS. Are you trying it in a Heli mixture? I divided my minor and put one of them in a 50/50 turface perlite mix to see how it works. So far so good.

Thanks for this! I've got one of these stores right around the corner, would've never thought to stop in there otherwise.

APS/Turface has been a major component in my heli mix for years...

Did not know that. I'm just starting to experiment with it. I've been using Laterite in my Ping mix for a while with good results. How to you think it would work with Orchioides Utrics?

I am having a heck of a time finding Turface in So Cal.

thanks butch , i think i paid something like 25 dollars for a three pound box , from a seller on e-bay last time.
They have a john deere location right in roanoke my home town, thanks thanks .
wow the things we can help each other with here is always so amazing

Last edited:
got 4-5 50 lbs bags once upon a time.....

Mineral salts can build up in APS. IMHO if you're going to use it long term, water quality must be taken into consideration.
I wouldn't recommend it if you have higher TDS levels.

I would also tend to think this would make it a poor candidate for tray method watering.

Like anything else, ymmv :)

Did not know that. I'm just starting to experiment with it. I've been using Laterite in my Ping mix for a while with good results. How to you think it would work with Orchioides Utrics?

I have used pure APS with pings and have what I consider very good results....
As to its use with Orchioides Utrics, I yield the podium to Jon or Ron... they are much more qualified to answer that than I

Keep it out of your Nepenthes pots if you want decent root growth..

All that I use it for is Pings.

Mineral salts can build up in APS. IMHO if you're going to use it long term, water quality must be taken into consideration.
I wouldn't recommend it if you have higher TDS levels.

I would also tend to think this would make it a poor candidate for tray method watering.

Like anything else, ymmv :)

I have used pure APS with pings and have what I consider very good results....
As to its use with Orchioides Utrics, I yield the podium to Jon or Ron... they are much more qualified to answer that than I

I've used Turface in with cacti and some orchid mixes, haven't noticed this to be a problem yet, but then again I wash, sterilize, and reuse every year or two, (LECA as well, I love the reusable stuff.) If you use it for Heliamphora, about how often do you think the mix should be switched out before build up becomes an issue? Shouldn't it last for quite some time if you are using mostly rain, distilled, or RO water with minor fertilization? I can't imagine buildup would happen faster than it does in an orchid pot that gets tons of fertilizer in comparison over the course of a year.

it shouldnt be a problem at all if the water being used is pure or very close. think he was just talking about those who use tap or well water that is relatively low but not in the same ballpark as RO/distilled.

I've used Turface in with cacti and some orchid mixes, haven't noticed this to be a problem yet, but then again I wash, sterilize, and reuse every year or two, (LECA as well, I love the reusable stuff.) If you use it for Heliamphora, about how often do you think the mix should be switched out before build up becomes an issue? Shouldn't it last for quite some time if you are using mostly rain, distilled, or RO water with minor fertilization? I can't imagine buildup would happen faster than it does in an orchid pot that gets tons of fertilizer in comparison over the course of a year.

I can only speak for myself....

having said that, I have never had to change it out or clean it in any of my helis. I also have a cactus or two in it, again... its never been a problem even using my tap water in that application (my tap is 200ppm but I always water my plants till it runs out the bottom, so I guess I flush each time)

But I do know the issue does occur for some... probably several variables at play.

fwiw, my RODI is 0ppm TDS but my Heli water reservoir is usually about 20ppm and I change out the reservoir when it gets about 40ppm

Personally, I feel 0ppm is neither natural nor desirable for plant use, but does make some great sun tea and ice cubes woohoo

I have a few pings growing in 100% turface. Since repotted I've gotten the best growth from them this way. I have a few utrics that arnt growing very well. I would love to know which mixes people use for those.

I just repotted some cephs in mostly turface. Hoping to get similar results as others who used turface.

Sorta off topic but I have a ceph that has been in Miracle Grow potting soil for years and loves it :)

Sorta off topic but I have a ceph that has been in Miracle Grow potting soil for years and loves it :)

Now that is very intriguing. I don't have enough plant material to play with yet but I suspect that cephs use their roots more than we know. Your experiment fuels I'm interest and intent to find out just how much they do so.

Back