What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIP automated watering for my outside carnivorous plants

I remember watering these things was time consuming to say the least last year so this year I have taken 1 more step to getting everything sufficient enough to last at least a couple weeks without me. The tote holds about 15-20 gallons and has a submersible pump with a manifold run by a digital timer. It will take a day or 2 to get it "dialed in" but doing so will be easy. Only modification I have to make is once I get some more tubing I will run dedicated lines from the manifold instead of using a tee.

I would say the next/last step in the evolution of my infrastructure will be to build an actual bog.

102_0622_zps5c2265b4.jpg

That looks like a wonderful setup that will save both time and water. Thank you for the inspiration!

Kenny

update:

I found enough couplers to use the hose I have and also drilled a hole in each pot on the side about an inch below the soil surface to stop accidental flooding. all should be good now :).

Looks like a great setup. Did you modify the pvc pipe in any way, i.e., holes in the sides, screen or mesh, etc.? Let us know how it works out when you get it dialed in :-D

there are a few holes in the pipe itself in order to inspect the water level and allow easy fill without disturbing the plants which was the original purpose for the pipe. :)

update....

made revisions to the timer to come on more often but come on half the quantity of time and drilled drain holes in the pots to circumvent flooding. should be good to go now. Time will tell.

How do you fill the Rubbermaid?

just move the top and add water. if i wanted to go hardcore a plastic trashcan holds about 40 or so gallons for a fraction of the price of a 50 gallon container.

I meant do you use a hose, buckets, etc? And are you using tap or RO?

i use collected rainwater.

Ok thanks!

alright. I have made my final adjustments which are basically drain holes to keep the water levels down to prevent flooding and root damage from too much water. As a secondary use I have also put other pots underneath these to catch and reuse the runoff for better efficiency. :)

Just need to buy some more tubing to have everything on the system and maybe a larger reservoir with a sub pump and a float sensor to refill that other tank for me.

Back