Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VFT Stolen from Alderman Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidents like this reinforce my assertion that if limited range and/or habitat is one of the reasons a species is endangered, protection of the species in situ and the habitat in general are not enough. The fact that there are countless VFTs in captivity is the greatest insurer of the species' survival.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No there is not any security at the park. I was there leading the CCPS Spring Meetup with Ozzy Saturday afternoon and there were many young children oohing and aahing at all the venus flytraps and pitcher plants. And Millipede is right they only took a little over 1,000 vfts not 10,000.
    Unfortunately events like this are all too common. We also visited the famous Shaken Creek that day and there were S. purpurea pitchers cut off and strewn about everywhere with many holes all over. It is truly unfortunate that people feel the need to destroy plants like this. The next day we were in Croatan National Forest visiting one of my favorite locations for S. rubra ssp. rubra and I found a few holes where there used to be plants. It is truly unfortunate when people cannot just let nature be for all to enjoy.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suddenly have the urge to strangle...I don't think the words I wish to use are TF appropriate....
    How do we end up with so many delinquent wackjobs?
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes me sick. The trouble with some other people is that they do what THEY think is best...not what WE think is best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    No there is not any security at the park. I was there leading the CCPS Spring Meetup with Ozzy Saturday afternoon and there were many young children oohing and aahing at all the venus flytraps and pitcher plants. And Millipede is right they only took a little over 1,000 vfts not 10,000.
    I second this. I've been going to this park for 4 years now in a row. There's no security, and I've rarely ever seen a person back there besides me and my family.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a story someone shared on here when some genius couple decided to dig up like 200 VFTs in North Carolina and sell them wholesale for like $0.90 each... Perhaps it is something like that again. I'll keep my eyes out for anything unusual on eBay, but I think if they're going to sell them they would do so to retailers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    Unfortunately events like this are all too common. We also visited the famous Shaken Creek that day and there were S. purpurea pitchers cut off and strewn about everywhere with many holes all over. It is truly unfortunate that people feel the need to destroy plants like this. The next day we were in Croatan National Forest visiting one of my favorite locations for S. rubra ssp. rubra and I found a few holes where there used to be plants. It is truly unfortunate when people cannot just let nature be for all to enjoy.
    Hey Mason. This is awful from Cali, I can imagine in your own back yard. Since you have obviously spent a good deal of time there, are there any stand out variants or anything to look out for? Or were they primarily typicals? I have seen a big increase of harder to find variants being put up for sale. If you , or anyone that is familiar with the park and it's VFT's could let us know if there is anything in particular to look out for, it may help find the thieves.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast