Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: starting a bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting a bog

Hey all, been a long time since posting here. Just wanted to say ive acquired a variety of pitcher plant, VFT and sundew seeds.. Plan on starting a bog. Got a tub i plan to put a plastic sun roof on; going to burn holes in the side so it can breath. Im gonna fill it with sphagnum and top it off with a thing layer of finely chopped coir. Purpose of the coir is to allow the very small seeds to germinate without sinking too deep in the sphagnum. I was thinking of giving the seeds a 2 week soak in a sandwhich bag and damp paper towel in the fridge. Also ive collected rain water for the project. Hope everything works out. Ill post pics when things progress. Thanks
    Quit reading my mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just something to consider: sarracenia dont like coir. they seem to do much better in peat. other than that, things look exciting, looking forward to seeing your progress!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may use peat then instead. Was just looking for something finely ground because of the seeds being so small. seems to be a general rule whenj woring with small seeds
    Quit reading my mind!

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put some dried sphag in a food processor and use that instead of peat. I have found that this milled sphag gves you the benefits of sphag with the finer texture.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041