Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shade for Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty, some pics of the details.....

Here's what it looks like from the front. The frame for the whole thing is made from wood and its just sitting inside an old dog run that the previous owner made out of bricks and a chain link fence.

So to attach the shade cloth we bought strips of wood and wrapped the wood with the cloth, then screwed the wood to the frame to hold down the cloth

We also stapled some of the areas down as well.

I couldn't ever find pieces of shade cloth big enough so I sewed mine together with nylon thread. It was pretty quick and easy to do and has held up as if there was no seam there to begin with. And honestly until I went out there today I didn't remember that it was more than one big piece.

You can see in this next picture the three seams where the pieces were stitched together to get it big enough to fit the width

Hope you get to feeling better! I myself have been thinking about getting another BBQ going so we can all meet up. Hopefully before the summer ends, but we shall see

If you need any more explanation or pics, let me know.
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    http://www.rudyshadehawaii.com/ was told they could make a pre fab cover for just about anything... then nylon cord sew in place or strips of wood nailed down to frame
    Thanks! I will definitely be contacting them when it comes time to purchase the cloth. The frame will be metal pipe so attaching the cloth might be a problem... I could possibly use plastic grommets and hooks/zipties.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics! You setup looks great! Although my frame will be metal I'm thinking about attaching wood to the bottom edges and wrapping it in shade cloth (like in your second picture) before securing it to the frame. Also it's good to know I can join pieces so easily because I was wondering how I would go about attaching the front and back sections. Looks like you used a running stitch? Also did you find out what percentage the shade was? I can't find anything from Home Depot at 50%... it's either 30% or 70+%.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    Thanks for the pics! You setup looks great! Although my frame will be metal I'm thinking about attaching wood to the bottom edges and wrapping it in shade cloth (like in your second picture) before securing it to the frame. Also it's good to know I can join pieces so easily because I was wondering how I would go about attaching the front and back sections. Looks like you used a running stitch? Also did you find out what percentage the shade was? I can't find anything from Home Depot at 50%... it's either 30% or 70+%.
    Yup, I used a running stitch. Nothing fancy
    I looked at Home Depot and it appears that I'm using the 70% shade cloth instead of the 50% like I thought. I also asked my dad who had help me build it at the time and he said it was definitely more than 50%.

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, sounds easy enough! I'm kinda reluctant to go for anything more than 50%.. although 70% looks like it's working very well on your plants. I'm also worried about the photoperiod. Today I watched the area all day and realized the entire shadehouse gets sun from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. Between 2:30 and 3:30 the shade slowly covers the structure. Is this too short?
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I arrange my plants in certain areas of the shade house. The side that gets the most sun I put the ultra-lowlanders, where as the ones that are hybrids with highlanders I typically put in the more shady area. So for me it works out that some areas get more shade than others.

I personally think that you'll be ok with either percentage that you pick. I find that my plants always adapt. If I were you I'd go with the 50% and if you find it's not enough you can always add another layer of cloth to raise the shade. It would be much harder to go from 70% down to 50%

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too sure about the photoperiod and how that'll affect the plants. Mine typically get from 8:30-4:30 in the summer and less in the winter.

I bet someone else will have more to add on that particular question....

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering how much the length of the photoperiod affects my plants too. They get the opposite end of the light period, but in the afternoon clouds usually roll in reducing it further. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, truth be told mine still do really well w a limited photoperiod.
    I wouldn't recommend more than 50% to start with, you can always add more if need be on the more sensitive plants in the summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast