Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shade for Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shade for Nepenthes

Next week I will pour the footings for a new 8 x 12 shadehouse. While I have planned out every detail, one is still bothering me, shade cloth percentage. Currently, all my plants are in full sun. My biggest problem is with temps and humidity. Even in the winter months the newest leaves and pitchers will wilt slightly around noon. I believe they could be producing more pitchers that last longer. Finally, I'm running out of space in the driveway, every new acquisition means less room for cars!

The new shadehouse will offer much more space and hopefully better conditions. One big upgrade will be the addition of a misting system. I plan to incorporate this system (recommended by favian). When hooked up to a RO unit I will be able to keep humidity up and grow helis and live sphagnum around the neps. I am however having trouble deciding on a shade cloth percentage. While some people swear by 30% or full sun, I have also heard of those who use 70-80%. While I want to reduce the lighting I don't want to eliminate it completely! Right now I am contemplating 40 or 50% cloth. However I still very undecided. I know there are quite a few growers here with neps outside (greenhouse or not). What works for you?

edit: Would esp like to hear from Hawaii growers. What percentage do you use and where did you get it?
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using 70% but my conditions are going to be very different. Might want to see what Keith and John are using on Oahu....

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using 50% but I'm at a higher latitude than Hawaii and I only use it April-October... I've never had my Nepenthes get sunburns, although this year a few of them were definitely shocked by the high lighting they got in the beginning of April before I put the shade cloth back on.

Hawaii is pretty cloudy, during the winter when I've been there. I'd say 50% wouldn't be overkill for sure, but if Kula is using 70%, might wanna go with that since he actually grows in Hawaii. He seems to have quite good success with his plants.

I've never lived in Hawaii, so I probably don't have the best answer for you. My plants have never gotten sun burnt in the summer, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coastal Oregon, 50% shadecloth from late May through mid-September. I have mine set up so I can draw back the shade (like a curtain) on cloudy days, and I pull it on only after 10AM on summer mornings, and pull it back again around 6PM every day. I try to maximize the non-burning sun hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're at 1000' elevation and I've got my nursery on the West side of our house (it doesn't receive light till later in the day) with a clear 16 mil tarp overhead that blocks 20% of the light. This was wonderful until about May when it started bleaching out my sphagnum and stunting the leaf growth on my smaller plants (but seemingly not the size of the pitchers). My larger truncata hybrids loved it and have produced their largest leaves, but anything under 6" diameter seemed to be affected. I have misters that were going on for 10 minutes every day at noon. I've since changed this to 9 AM to allow for a little more saturation, rather than it just evaporating really quickly. I also try and mist if it's really sunny. About a month ago I added extra Sun Screen Fabric from Home Depot, the black stuff, I think it says up to 75% more shade, but I also don't trust these numbers. I think everything is happier, but it's probably too early to tell. I think I'll do something similar to Whimgrinder and take it down in September or October and then put it back up in April or May.
    Farthest away from the house, right outside the tarp, I have my 20 gallon pots w my big Ventricosa, Red Leopard, and Maxima x Sanguinea; these have nothing overhead and are going absolutely crazy with growth! Some stems are now activating every single node (a wild site to see) and putting out the biggest leaves I've ever seen on them. Node length between leaves at the top of my Red Leopard has gone from a few inches to an extremely compact spacing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo, a new shadehouse! You must be excited! you'll have to post pics when you're done.
    For my shade house I use 50% shade cloth. Well, im pretty sure it was 50%, its the black color one at Home Depot. I'll double check to make sure. It works great for me and my plants love it.

Good luck with it! If you or your dad want to come and look at mine to see how mine was built, you're more than welcome to come over. Or I can send pics as well
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Hawaii is pretty cloudy, during the winter when I've been there. I'd say 50% wouldn't be overkill for sure, but if Kula is using 70%, might wanna go with that since he actually grows in Hawaii. He seems to have quite good success with his plants.

I've never lived in Hawaii, so I probably don't have the best answer for you. My plants have never gotten sun burnt in the summer, though.
    Around here the skies are usually quite clear. Sometimes in the winter it can get a little rainy and overcast but generally it's blue skies. I think 50% might be the best then. Like Kula mentioned Kula, Maui is much higer elevation than my location so what works for him might not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Coastal Oregon, 50% shadecloth from late May through mid-September. I have mine set up so I can draw back the shade (like a curtain) on cloudy days, and I pull it on only after 10AM on summer mornings, and pull it back again around 6PM every day. I try to maximize the non-burning sun hours.
    Unfortunately I won't have the option of moving the shadecloth according to the weather. The shade cloth will be semi permanently secured to the metal frame. Again 50% sounds good especially looking at your awesome results!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambanja View Post
    We're at 1000' elevation and I've got my nursery on the West side of our house (it doesn't receive light till later in the day) with a clear 16 mil tarp overhead that blocks 20% of the light. This was wonderful until about May when it started bleaching out my sphagnum and stunting the leaf growth on my smaller plants (but seemingly not the size of the pitchers). My larger truncata hybrids loved it and have produced their largest leaves, but anything under 6" diameter seemed to be affected. I have misters that were going on for 10 minutes every day at noon. I've since changed this to 9 AM to allow for a little more saturation, rather than it just evaporating really quickly. I also try and mist if it's really sunny. About a month ago I added extra Sun Screen Fabric from Home Depot, the black stuff, I think it says up to 75% more shade, but I also don't trust these numbers. I think everything is happier, but it's probably too early to tell. I think I'll do something similar to Whimgrinder and take it down in September or October and then put it back up in April or May.
    Farthest away from the house, right outside the tarp, I have my 20 gallon pots w my big Ventricosa, Red Leopard, and Maxima x Sanguinea; these have nothing overhead and are going absolutely crazy with growth! Some stems are now activating every single node (a wild site to see) and putting out the biggest leaves I've ever seen on them. Node length between leaves at the top of my Red Leopard has gone from a few inches to an extremely compact spacing.
    This one will be on the east side of the house. From what I've observed it gets direct sun from 9 am to 4 pm. Is this enough light? The currently the plants get sun from 12 am to sunset. I have observed the same thing. small plants and newer plants don't do so well with so much sun. Surprisingly my 32+" truncata doesn't like it either, while it keeps getting larger all the leaves have white sun burnt patches. Hopefully I can get the new misting system to go off hourly for one or two minutes to keep everything cooler and more humid.

Quote Originally Posted by divaskid View Post
    Oooo, a new shadehouse! You must be excited! you'll have to post pics when you're done.
    For my shade house I use 50% shade cloth. Well, im pretty sure it was 50%, its the black color one at Home Depot. I'll double check to make sure. It works great for me and my plants love it.

Good luck with it! If you or your dad want to come and look at mine to see how mine was built, you're more than welcome to come over. Or I can send pics as well
    Oh yes, I am VERY excited! Right now I've got the whole area laid out in string and have the footings dug. We would have poured on Friday but I've been pretty sick lately. Might pour on Monday depending on how I feel. I will take lots of pictures and get them up here soon. I have seen shade cloth at Home Depot but wasn't sure if it was large enough or the right percentages. I'm going to need one piece about 13 x 20 and two more roughly 10 x 10 for the ends. Looking for good places in Hawaii as well as online. Haven't found much in Hawaii besides Home Depot. Thanks for the offer to visit. I think I'll have to decline as I'm under the weather... however if you are out there I would love some pics! I've seen some in your thread. Most interested in how you fastened the cloth to the frame. Maybe when this project is done I can invite everyone over for another potluck!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.rudyshadehawaii.com/ was told they could make a pre fab cover for just about anything... then nylon cord sew in place or strips of wood nailed down to frame

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast