Let me proceed this by saying I am a horrible forum poster. But I am going to give this a go, to chronicle my new 10x12HFGH.
I have wanted a greenhoing use for years (probably close to 12). I have always been held back by a lack of usable space to install a GH. About a week ago I finally closed on my first home. It is a great house for me and my family, and has a wonderful fenced in back yard. My wife says the only reason I really started looking at buying a house was because I wanted a greenhouse. I tell her she is crazy, but honestly it was a factor in the decision to commit to buying a house.
The next decision I had to make was what kind of greenhouse to go with. Cost was a bit of factor, having just bought the house I couldn't go to crazy without upsetting my wife. After looking at the options I narrowed it down to framing my own, or buying a harbor freight and be***** it up to the point that it would survive our Oregon coast storms. In the end I decided on the HFGH for several reasons. First off was looks. The place area I had planned for the GH was in blatant view of my new neighbors bedroom window, and I didn't want to build some monstrosity right in front of them. Next was cost. Even with the extras needed to make the HF strong enough, it still came in cheaper than building a similar sized wood house and covering it with something other than poly film.
To start with my goal is to get the GH up and operating to the point I can grow highland neps in it fairly simply. After that I will refine everything and build a Lowland chamber inside. Eventually I plan on using Arduino to automate pretty much everything.
I am basing my build off This blog. It has so much good info and tips on making the HFGH work.
Progress so far:
First thing I had to do was build a level base to build off of. I was going to dig down to get everything level, but decided I didn't really want to dig down 6+ inches to match the low spot. So I went off the high corner and just elevated the base from that point. I dug down 36" and set 4x4 PT post in concrete. Each hole has almost 160 pounds of concrete in them. I used some 6 inch screws to build the base and secure it to the posts. The 2x3 boards set diagonally are just to keep everything square while I set the posts. Soon I will get some cedar and finish the outside down to the ground level, and fill the inside with pea gravel.
After the PT base is set, the greenhouse base goes down. This is just a metal C channel that comes in several pieces. I put it all together and got it square on the base before using deck screws to secure it down. One tip I have for anyone building this GH is about the corner brackets. The instructions show the bracket on the inside of the C channel. I found it fit much better on the outside.
From this point I am just going to post my pictures. IF you have questions, ask away
At this point I added one of the extra things mentioned in the blog to help sturdy everything up. I used 3/4 emt to put a brace from side to side to prevent the walls from pulling apart. I only did two of them at this point because I want to get my lowland room built inside and the EMT will interfere with that.
Next I wanted to get my benches started because I am attaching them to the frame from the outside. The benches will add a ton of support for the entire GH. The bench process just sorta happened as I went. I knew what I wanted, and I just cut and dado'd around stuff as I went. The bench looks high right now, but the floor will be about 4" higher when i am done. This puts the top of the bench at 42", and leaves me room to do a lower bench and have room for stuff under that on the ground.
It got dark, so I stopped outside and went back to taping the edges of the poly panels with metal sided duct tape. I am doing this to help prevent moisture and mold inside the panels. Crossing my finger that it works.
Thats where I am for tonight. I am hoping my 25 rolls of weather stripping show up tomorrow so I can start installing panels after I finish my benches.
More to come and I progress.