Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My greenhouses at work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a sick, massive begonia in the middle left?
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    Is that a sick, massive begonia in the middle left?
    Yes. We have quite a begonia collection. I've taken a lazy approach with them so I'd never have to repot. I concocted a long-lasting soil and planted them in large clay pots.

Then I grew them into monsters. I like the collection to look at natural as possible, so I try to cover up all the glass and aluminum and benches with foliage and hanging baskets wherever I can. The begonias are particularly excellent at creating a backdrop for other, smaller plants.

Plumbago

Was hanging from a rafter, camera in one hand, to take this overview shot. Entrance to the room is to the right, and research to the left. We have 8 greenhouses in total... 90% research, 10% cool plants for teaching.

Black-eyed Susan Vine

Tillandsia duratii

Crappy shot, but another T. duratii about to flower.

Cape Primrose, Gesneriaceae

Tubby wubby wittle ant plants

Aeschynanthus speciosus, perhaps my favorite gesneriad

Clerodendrum ugandense, Blue Butterfly Flower

This is the ancestral form of rubra from Taylor Co., GA. Very cool plant from a very cool friend.

Crappy shot of my Stylidium debile carpet

psittacina from Baldwin Co., AL, among the big stretching leucophylla fields

filiformis, Florida Red

The land where babies grow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Tubby wubby" is in fact the correct Latin terminology describing stout, trunk-like appendages.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the cape primrose go by any other names? I have a similar (or maybe identical) looking plant known as "Flying Violet" or Streptocarpella.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    "Tubby wubby" is in fact the correct Latin terminology describing stout, trunk-like appendages.
    It's all 'bout botanical correctitudinality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    Does the cape primrose go by any other names? I have a similar (or maybe identical) looking plant known as "Flying Violet" or Streptocarpella.
    I've heard Monkey Face flower, or just the latin name (Streptocarpus). Or simply, since we're being botanically correct here, "that pretty purple thingie in the hanging basket"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The H. minor picture links, are most impressive. To see pictures of peoples heli's in pots and then to see that thing growing with out restrictions or in a box is just awesome. I have always wanted to try one, but no matter what do think i could ever achive that in my house, lol. thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff that supports all of the fun plants is biological research, mostly with the intent of understanding genetics or improving crop plants. Every room within each greenhouse of the complex houses a unique project. At times I handle up to a couple dozen professors' projects simultaneously.

It doesn't look quite as spectacular as CPs. Case in point is corn:

While they're just green and monotonous, they are worth several million dollars.

Sunflowers being subjected to an array of simultaneous stresses including drought, salt, heavy metals, herbivory, and frost. I am probably one of very few people in the country to have seen firsthand what lead, arsenic, and cadmium toxicity look like.

Morning glories being used to understand how different genders evolved in plants:

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    I've heard Monkey Face flower, or just the latin name (Streptocarpus). Or simply, since we're being botanically correct here, "that pretty purple thingie in the hanging basket"
    Thanks! It sounds like if they aren't the same flower, they are closely related. They sell it at garden centers here as an annual.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast