Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My greenhouses at work

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My greenhouses at work

I don't know if anyone's seen my intro post but I am a professional research horticulturist in a major university's plant biology department. I manage 2 4,500 sqft greenhouses full of crop plants like corn, sunflowers, rice, millet, and anything else the researchers are interested in. I also manage a smaller greenhouse for teaching purposes, and it houses our CP and orchid collections as well as many other flowering plants.

I just wanted to show some pics of the plants that are a part of my daily life. We get lots of student groups of all ages, and since my specialty is CPs I love to introduce people to them and give away any stray Drosera seedpods when I can. I also haul the CP collection to a nearby botanical garden once a year as a feature for a big insect event. These plants get a workout! We have 3 Nepenthes that are over 20 years old and most of the species of Sarracenia. Since we don't specialize in CPs, there are significant holes that I have been trying to fill since I got here. I will be looking to trade in the upcoming months in order to achieve a better mix of Drosera, Dionaea, Sarracenia, and Nepenthes. We also lack Genlisea, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia. However, I have masses of all kinds of tropicals and the ability to root cuttings on a mist bench.

I'll try to get some and more CP-specific photos later, but enjoy these for now! This was back in spring.

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/kev...orous%20Plants
    Last edited by theplantman; 04-23-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies--I thought I was in the greenhouses forum, where this might be better suited.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good looking stuff, must be fun!

Moved for ya.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing better than running a greenhouse you pay for is running a greenhouse someone else pays for. I'm envious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice greenhouse!
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the entire bench of Welwitschia mirabilis still in that greenhouse? Looks like the N. x Dyeriana is looking great as usual!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGnum View Post
    Is the entire bench of Welwitschia mirabilis still in that greenhouse? Looks like the N. x Dyeriana is looking great as usual!
    The Welwitschias are alive and well. My first year at the greenhouses we had a crop of 14 babies born, and I nursed them along for 2 years in 4-inch pots and they've made their way to the big collection. Just last week we harvested another 27 seeds and, with fungicide, almost all have begun sprouting. It's insane how fast fresh seeds germinate.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some beautifully-grown plants. Looks like you run a tight ship.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast