User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the rack in the video came from sams at about 60.00 and has all those open holes , great for attaching all kinds of things , be care ful of electric cords and such though, dont get a shock , i never had any issues just be careful with wiring process and you should be fine .
    i liked the t-5's lighting and fairly close to the cephs and it seemed to me the warm lights and a regular misting helped the plants to produce the largest pitchers possible, that is why i used the fans to make sure they didnt get a mold or fungus going, which i never did,
    yes a community water tray would prob do fine. i just liked mine that way so i could rearrange the plants on the shelf any way i liked.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the rack in today.

DSC_0746 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

After about 30-45m of trying to figure out the horrid instructions.

DSC_0747 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Overall I think it will work just fine, but I would have preferred more vertical supports for the shelves. I put 2 10lb weights on a shelf to see how it felt and everything seemed stable enough. Depending on how it feels fully loaded I many add a few supports.

Now that its here I can get the proper measurements and order the heatsinks for the LEDs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do details for us on the LEDs .
    Id love to give those a try I.
    Do you use those on any of your other plants?
    Nice looking shelves. Xpnciv?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    Please do details for us on the LEDs .
    Id love to give those a try I.
    Do you use those on any of your other plants?
    Nice looking shelves. Xpnciv?
    Here are the heatsinks I went with http://www.heatsinkusa.com/1-813/, there are a ton of places to get them. I order 4 @ 22" long, that will be enough to get 2 of the shelves set up. I'll probably wait until next spring and sell off a few more Ceph's to pay for the other 2 shelf's lighting.

I set up a 10 LED bar for supplemental lighting on a windowsill, more to play around with then anything else. I have very mixed feeling about LEDs, if I was to light a 48" area I would go with T5s hands down, but everything else is open to a lot of debate. If you want a ton of light in a small space, LEDs work better than anything else I've seen.

I'm leaning towards http://www.rapidled.com/24-led-plug-...-kit-dimmable/ for these 2 shelves with a dimmable controller. 6-7 LEDs per heatsink, so 12-14 per shelf.

When I order the next batch of LEDs I will be ordering a http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/, $23 for 4 LEDs, the driver is only 350mA but the driver I have now is at about 30% power so it may be enough for some my needs. They will send any color LEDs you want. There are newer/better LEDs out there now and I'm paying a premium for not having to solder but I'm happy with what I've received from them so far. Still it would be around $40-50 after heatsinks/lens for 4 LEDs with a low powered driver.

T5s seems to send a lot more heat toward the plants. LEDs seem to pass that heat into the heatsink and less toward the plants. I have not done any testing but that's the feeling I get.

That shelf was a little over $120, if I would have had a chance to get my hands on a display model I would not have bought it. Overall I think I will be happy with it thou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I'm leaning towards http://www.rapidled.com/24-led-plug-...-kit-dimmable/ for these 2 shelves with a dimmable controller. 6-7 LEDs per heatsink, so 12-14 per shelf.
    Presumably you would swap the LEDs for different spectrum, as the ones in that kit have very little at the 660nm chlorophyll absorption band?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Presumably you would swap the LEDs for different spectrum, as the ones in that kit have very little at the 660nm chlorophyll absorption band?
    I'm thinking of the neutral white 3.7K-5.3K or cool white 5K-8.3K. Maybe a mix of the two. Any suggestions would be great, I've mainly used bulbs in the 5K range in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm sure you are aware, white LEDs are not the most optimised for plant growth, rather red and blue are. Indeed, the efficiencies of using LEDs for plant growth come from selecting the particular wavelengths that plants can use, and omitting those that they cant such as greens. However, for aesthetic reasons most people don't want to see their plants under just these colours, as they will just look black.

If using white then it is best to try to pick those with good peaks in both the red and blue chlorophyll absorption bands and if you can't get these then just mix some red and blue LEDs in with the whites. Most white LEDs have actually got good peaks in the blue spectrum, as they are actually blue LEDs with a phosphor, so sometimes only reds are needed as a supplement.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aesthetic reasons is why I've mainly used whites in the past, but I'm trying to build this rack more towards what the Cephs need than what I want. With that said I've been doing some reading and looking at all those data sheets about the different LEDs over the last few days and my eyes are getting really glossy. I only understand about 1/3rd of whats on there.

From my understanding red spectrum is more for flower/fruit production with blue being leaves/plant mass. Maybe I should have one shelf high blue for smaller growing plants/leaf pull and another red for seed production on the older ones? If I'm understanding everything correctly I am looking for reds spiking in the 660nm range and blues spiking in the 430nm range with white to fill in the rest of the spectrum.

Then there is the whole mess of what light range is good for Ceph coloration, has there even been any testing done?

I'm amazed at how much of the information out there is for growing one very specific plant and its not a Ceph!

Back to reading for me, so much to learn...
    Last edited by RSS; 11-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast