User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at your soldering, I reckon you would of been ok soldering wires to the LED PCBs and saved yourself some money from buying the ones with connectors.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody pass the popcorn, I am going to be watching this for a while.

Mad props, RSS!
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Looking at your soldering, I reckon you would of been ok soldering wires to the LED PCBs and saved yourself some money from buying the ones with connectors.
    A few years back I would have been ashamed of that soldering . I've been to a few advanced soldering classes while I was in the military. Since I don't have all the fancy equipment and my hands like to move on there own its the best I can do now.

Drilling the heatsinks was pretty uneventful and easy. Non dull drill bit, slow speed drill.

For those interested here is a close-up of one of the LEDs. That 1/8" greenish square in the middle is the LED, the rest of it is heatsinks, wiring, few components, and material just to make it larger for easier handling. Seven of those tiny little squares is what that large piece of metal is for, simply amazing the amount of heat and light those little dots can produce.

DSC_0760 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Its time to mount the LEDs to the heatsink, the first step is to clean the heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol or similar cleaner. Then I marked the locations for the LEDs in pencil on the heatsink and labeled which color of LED is going in which spot in marker.

DSC_0756 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I'm using peal and stick thermal pads instead of thermal grease or thermal adhesive because I'm lazy. Its basically double stick tape that transfers heat.

DSC_0757 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Bout 30m later we have:
    NW WW CW NW WW CW NW
    NW CW WW NW CW WW NW

DSC_0763 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Next is the part I don't like, attaching the lenses. Maybe tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking neat. Any plan to fan cool that heatsink, or do you think passive cooling will suffice?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other 2 similar LEDs I have setup are at about 60% power and the heatsinks stay just above room temp, cool to the touch. I'm hoping this will be enough light for the Cephs to get some good color but only time will tell. I'm hoping passive cooling will be enough and I would probably add another 7 LED strip before I cranked up the power if more light was needed. I'm trying to keep the heat generated to a minimum. Higher power = more heat, less LED life, it just seems like a lose/lose when you turn them up a lot.

I will be adding some sort of air flow across the plants but I haven't thought much about it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have a baby Cephalotus under LED, so hard to see if colouration is going to be good. I do however have quite good colouration on a H. minor under LED:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! Can we get some information about the lighting? Color/# of LEDs, distant from the LED to the Heli?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an off-the-shelf lamp, though I have build my own in the past. Specifications are 15 x 1W LED: 10(Red):4(Blue):1(white), positioned 4 - 7cm from the top of the Heliamphora.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast