User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    It's an off-the-shelf lamp, though I have build my own in the past. Specifications are 15 x 1W LED: 10(Red):4(Blue):1(white), positioned 4 - 7cm from the top of the Heliamphora.
    That's a lot closer than I'm planning on placing these. I'm looking at 6-10" range, but its easy enough to move them closer if I feel the need.

I just got through placing all the lenses for those 2 bars. These are 80 degree lenses.

I just placed them on top of the LED board, if you look closely you can see there is one missing from each bar. For reasons I can not figure out bout 1 in 6 just don't fit right and are a real pain to get on. So I leave them off until after I mix up the thermal adhesive. Remember this is a race! You have about 5m before the mix becomes unusable and you have to mix up more, so go with small batches. I mixed up about a M&Ms worth and it was twice what I needed. Mix up 1:1 of parts A&B of your favorite thermal adhesive and add a small amount to the base where the lens meets the board. Taking extra care not to get ANY of the thermal mixture anywhere on the inside of the lens or on any part of the actual LED. This may/can reduce the light output by clouding/blocking the lens/LED.

DSC_0764 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

It doesn't have to be pretty, but when the LED burns out you will want to be able to remove it without a hammer.

DSC_0765 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0766 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

And now I wait for a few hours, before getting into the main wiring and hanging. I might have Cephs under them by the end of the day!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to cover the rest of the wiring as it is simply just twist two wires together and add a cap.

Tested the LEDs, all is good.

DSC_0767 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mounted and added the first residents. Looks like Mobile is right, lots of blues.

DSC_0768 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0769 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0770 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Now I get to do it all over again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    killer thread , im on board , must get buisy, thanks RSS , for the work on the pics and lighting help ,
    if you could please Post some pics in a month or so so we can keep up with the progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What angle are the lenses? It would be interesting to see if plants under a particular 'colour' white react differently.

You have lots of babies, are they leaf cuttings from your own collection?

BTW... I like those clear square pots you get over there.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    What angle are the lenses? It would be interesting to see if plants under a particular 'colour' white react differently.

You have lots of babies, are they leaf cuttings from your own collection?

BTW... I like those clear square pots you get over there.
    They are 80 degree. They are all leaf pulls from my other plants.

The pots are Rand aircone pots, you might be able to find them but you have so much neater stuff over there They are a bit pricey but the plastic is pretty heavy for a pot.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its only been 6 days under the LEDs and I can already see all of the babies coloring up. I would say within the first 2 days I could see the Emu starting to darken. Hopefully it will continue.

None of them are all green like they were in the photo's from a week ago. The Emu is clearly the best looking one so far, but this clone has always grown better than any other for me. No one else I've kept in contact with that has traceable plant material between us has expressed the same opinion about the Emu. I'm including the traceable part because I suspect a lot of the Cephs being passed around are mislabeled.

For reference all the Cephs above were grown up from leap pulls under a single old (probably 3-6 months before it burns out) T5 about 7-8" from them. Under the LEDs they are about 9-10" from the LEDs.

Baby pitchers are so cute!

Here is the all green Emu Point with the green label getting its bronze on.

DSC_0771 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice keep sharing , want to see them in a month, looks like it will be a great success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS - where did you get the racking from in the end just stumbled across this an it looks so good the end product!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Got the rack in today.

DSC_0746 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

After about 30-45m of trying to figure out the horrid instructions.

DSC_0747 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Overall I think it will work just fine, but I would have preferred more vertical supports for the shelves. I put 2 10lb weights on a shelf to see how it felt and everything seemed stable enough. Depending on how it feels fully loaded I many add a few supports.

Now that its here I can get the proper measurements and order the heatsinks for the LEDs!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast