User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last pic does really show great coloring for such a short time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers RSS looking around at the type of stuff we have to compare here in the uk.

An I love the way it's coloured up awesome, it's a work in progress an I think I will be looking to start mine in January

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing thread randell. the next setup i build will defiently have leds as the lighting. your instructions took the fear out of the whole processes. thanks for the details.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its only been 4 days since I moved the larger one in but I had the camera out so. I'm really impress with how quickly they are getting color.

DSC_0802 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

And Red.

DSC_0806 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great results for only 4 days. Those LEDs made that plant blush in to time at all. I'm a believer. Can't argue with results. Thanks for keeping the angles the same in the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fast colouration might come at a cost of slower growth. I'm starting to suspect that the warm white LEDs might be better for growing than the cool white. Maybe this can be attributed to warm white LEDs having more output in the red spectrum and less in the blue. Blue helps with colouration, but is required in less quantities than red for growth purposes. You have a mix which includes warm whites as well as cool and neutral so I will be interested to see your results.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if a person were to build a led setup purely for maximum plant growth, aesthetics aside, what exactly would that layout be? I'm assuming it would be just the red and blue spectrums. which wavelengths would be ideal and at what ratios?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    So if a person were to build a led setup purely for maximum plant growth, aesthetics aside, what exactly would that layout be? I'm assuming it would be just the red and blue spectrums. which wavelengths would be ideal and at what ratios?
    I spent many hours reading trying to figure this out and a lot of the information seemed to contradict itself. You want reds spiking in the 660nm range and blues spiking in the 430nm range with white to fill in the rest of the spectrum. If you look at the red/blue LED charts they are ONLY red or blue there is no filler and they are in a very small range. The blues for instance would have NO output starting around the 550nm range.

When you start digging into the technical #'s for the LEDs you get a lot of useless information like Luminous flux, why is this useless? Its a measurement of visible light so if you look at the RED LEDs its .720 while the warm white LED with the same power is 93.9....130X brighter to the human eye, but which LED is actually producing more light, visible to the human eye or not? I was not able to find that information but as I've said before I only understand about 1/3 of what I'm reading with this stuff.

The general recommendation is more red than blue with some whites, but this doesn't agree with my reading. Reds are used by plants for fruit/flower production while blues are for plant mass/vegetative growth. Are most people growing indoors looking for flowers/fruits or am I missing something?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast