User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In experiments on certain species of plants blue light has been shown to inhibit internode elongation.

Personally I think if I was to build a LED lamp for the sole purpose of growth then I would use 660nm red LEDs with some white LEDs for supplementary plant PAR. The white LEDs would provide some blue light, indeed cool white LEDs are typically high in the blue spectrum and lower in the red.

If I were to go for all white LEDs, then I would choose warm white with a higher ratio of output in the red spectrum compared to the blue.

NASA experiments are often quoted, sometimes with the ratio of 4 red:1 blue stated, but from recollection they actually used red LED combined with fluorescent tubes to provide the blue and other wavelengths - blue LEDs were not readily available or efficient at the time. They were experimenting on food crops, not flowers, and found that using just red LEDs resulted in leggy plants.

Source: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...nt_growth.html
    Last edited by mobile; 11-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well with Black Friday and everyone thinking they need to lower there prices on things, I have ordered the remaining LEDs for the bottom 2 shelves I went ahead and added 2 moonlight kits so the bottom 2 shelves with have extra red/blue LEDs when compaired to the top 2 bars. I might go with all reds on one shelf and all blues on the other just to see the difference over a year.

I was also able to pick up 4 PC fans for $6 - $6 rebate, so after a month I'll get my money back .

I just checked there website on a fluke and they were 20% off, so if your planning a project you might want to check with whatever source your planning on using and see if they have a good deal today!

Back to the fun stuff!

Here are the two that have colored up the most so far pulled under normal kitchen light so the LED light colors will not affect the exposure. Emu on the left and German Giant on the right. 20 days under the lights.

DSC_0826 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Well on its way.

DSC_0830 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been a little over 30 days so I figured an update was in order. I have attached the PC fans but have not yet wired them up, I'm waiting on the power adapter to arrive in the mail. We got a bit of hail and it built up to a nice sheet of ice that shut down the city for about 3 days So the USPS did not deliver or try to deliver mail for 2 days!

Anyway here are the "test" Cephs along with some new friends that have been showing up. I've included both the old and new photos for easier comparison.

DSC_0769 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0850 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0770 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0851 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using my camera as a magnifying glass to check on the health of a few of the babies so I figured I'd post them here.

DSC_0891 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the main reason I wanted to magnify some of them, the old green leaves that tanned are now drying out and dieing but the new growth coming in is nice and glossy.

DSC_0890 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0889 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting better an better!!!

I'm currently in the process of moving house, but my setup will be complete next autumn.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Be sure and post some photos when you get everything setup. I'm sure I will be able to steal on idea or two.

Speaking of stealing ideas...I needed to rearrange my plant room today to make room for more plants so I took the opportunity to add some of that reflective backed foam.

And now with more Penguins!

DSC_1067 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Still working on putting it all back together.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured the Cephs needed some mood lighting so I wired up two new bars to run some longer term testing on the Moonlight kits. I only have 2 little ones ready to go in right now but more will be added as they come out of the nursery. Overall I've been really impressed with the results from the moonlight kits considering the power usage. I should have an actual wattage meter in the next week or two so I can confirm they are using the power they state they are.

One note, while making these two bars the Philips lenses were a joy to work with compaired to the others. Too bad they won't fit on the white LEDs.

The two bars are as follows:

CW WW RB DR

WW CW DR RB

Cool White - 5,000-8,300K Color Temperature
    Warm White - 2,600-3,700K Color Temperature
    Royal Blue - 440-460nm dominant/peak wavelength
    Deep Red - 650-670nm dominant/peak wavelength

The CW/WW should have the highest output in the 660nm/430nm ranges with some filler while the RB/DR have more output in those ranges and nothing else really. The middle area should offer some mixing from both, it should be enough to give me a general direction where to go in the future.

This bar is only running at 350mA/13V so its a lot less power than the other 2 bars, with my result here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...th-a-few-Cephs I wanted to set something up for atleast a year and see how things go. I have some concern that the main 2 bars may be too much light for my goals.

DSC_1079 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Reference photos of the two draftees, bad photos but they will do the job.

DSC_1080 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_1081 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I've also started a 6 Ceph manual flood system test to see if a flood watering system is practical. Really basic I flood them once a week and syphon out all the water after about an hour. I'm planning on storing the flood water for reuse and will aerate and test the TDS before each flood cycle.

DSC_1075 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever want to make that flood and drain system a little more automatic then you might be interested in this: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...drain-watering

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast