User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its time to build a Cephalotus grow space, would love input!

I think its finally time for me to build a grow area specifically for my Cephalotus collection. So hopefully a few others have done this before and can stear me away from problems.

My goal is to provide the best possible conditions for growing Cephalotus indoors under lights within my budget and reason. Any input is always welcome.

What I have to work with:

Funding: A few of my babies, ur Cephs, will be making the ultimate sacrifice to fund this project . So the more this costs the more of them I will lose.

Footprint: So far I can only get either a 12" L X 12" W X 72" H or a 12" L X 30" W X 72" H area, I'm still in negotiations with my spouse.

Lighting: With the odd space I will most likely be using LEDs for the light source. I have used CREE XP-G neutral white LEDs on another area and will likely use them for this as well. I need to figure out the minimum safe distance from the LEDs to the top of the first Ceph, hopefully someone out there will have input on this. That will let me know how many shelves I can have and what lens to get. I have only used LEDs for one setup so I'm really new to LEDs.

Concessions: My wife will have to approve of the rack since it will be in a "guest friendly" area of the house. From talking with her tonight I think the bare minimum I will get away with is the painted PVC shelf. I'm planning to drag her to the hardware store tomorrow for some more research into it. So any suggestions need to look atleast that "clean/good".

First question, does anyone have any hands on experience with PVC shelving. An example can be found here: http://www.tsflowers.com/plantstand.html Provided it was painted it might look pretty nice and would allow for a custom design easily.

All the mass produced plant racks seem really overpriced for what they are. Here is a cheap one http://indoorgardensupplies.com/prod...e-white-trays/ but you generally get what you pay for and I have not been able to find any reviews or additional information about this rack. A few modifications and I think it would look nice and work. Cut the (hopefully) metal bars from 27" down to 12". Buy a second one and stack it on top. Secure the rack to the walls and track down some smaller trays. It can't be that easy, can it?

I'm trying to avoid building a shelf from scratch but I can if nothing else pans out I have made stands from wood before.

Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't get any better than this: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ile+cephalotus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ceph terrarium is the most awesome thing I have seen today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how I have mine set up. Vintage 3 gallon terrarium.

3 Gallons of Zen by Wire Man, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of those setups are really nice but not what I'm trying to do here.

The visit to the hardware store was a bit of an eye opener. From what I can work out to build a 24" X 12" X 72" PVC shelf it would take these materials:

8 X 1" elbows for the top/bottom corners @ 2.05 each
    32 X 1" Tees @ .86 each
    50 feet of 1" pipe @ 3.38/10 ft

For a surprising total of $60.82. I could probably save 10-20% with the bulk packs and replacing the elbows with tees but I would still need plant trays.

Or I could just buy http://www.buyplantlights.com/sunlig...tand-sl44.html for $120 with the trays included.

Looks like I still need to do more research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dot have this set up right now but it worked very well for several years. just an open shelf with a terrarium to one side . fans and some t-5 lighting./
    check out this , if you like.http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row?highlight=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also a few more pics . and thought from other members at this address.
    cant wait to see your set up i need to build another ser up for my new home so i can get bact the the cephs. still one of my fav. CP's.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ill?highlight=

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice, your Cephs seem happy with the arrangement. I've always tried to use one large water tray instead of a smaller one for each plant. Is this for logistic issues or growing issues?

You also have fans on an open rack do you think this is helpful? I was planning on a test run with a fan to see if it would help any but right now none of my Cephs have fans, the only airflow is from central heating/air.

I'll probably force myself to pick a rack soon, its eating up too much time searching for the perfect one.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast