What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm Tired of Water...

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
After two years of buying gallons upon gallons of distilled water on the market every week, I think it is time for me to get an RO/DI unit. I posted something on a couple forums last year, but I can't remember which ones (all I remember is that one was a reef forum)... I guess I need something that produces 5 gallons bare minimum per day, but I remember someone pointing out that those specialized small ones that produce 5 gallons per day are more expensive than a larger one that produces quite a bit more daily. I think the space requirement would be to be able to fit under a sink cabinet or hook up outside to a hose. I really don't know, I'm not much of an acumen on water distillation or reverse osmosis stuff so...

Any info about how much it would cost and things I'd have to do to get it running would be cool. Also, reputable websites that sell RO/DI filter things would be great (if that is allowed to be posted). Thanks. :)

If you don't mind buying from an eBay vendor, I can refer you to the company I bought my RO + DI unit from. I paid around $200.00, $50.00 more than usual because I had them add an electric pump to mine to offset the low water pressure we have. Their units are complete systems that are VERY easy to install and the setup only takes about an hour. We've been using it for about 4 months now and as of today the unit is still producing on the original filters that came with the system, which the same vendor sells and does so for a very reasonable price. My tap water TDS registers at 122ppm before being filtered, and 1 ppm after. This thing has already saved us money since we were buying 10 gallons per week before getting it.

Here is a link to one of their systems, basically the same one I have minus the pump I added. Makes 100 GPD.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REEF-HOME-D...291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0d006b3

I know you said you were looking for reputable vendors...this vendor has over 21,000 feedbacks with a 99.9% positive rating...find me a retailer that has better, anywhere.

I've thought about a RO unit before. Not sure I like them from all the water they waste, unless you can collect and recycle it for other uses. Never looked that hard if your easily able to do that.
I just collect rain water from the down spouts.

Have you had your water tested or have a TDS meter? When I lived in OK the water coming out of the tap was really good and most plants did not need any filtering. Down here in TX its a bit worse but I'm doing some test runs to see if the plants care about the extra metals.

RO units waste a ton of water, the main reason I don't own one currently. We have only ever bought one and the water waste was just too much to accept. Every Spring through Fall we go into water restrictions so it just does not work here. Depending on your rain fall/water costs, rain barrels or something might come out better cost wise. Even a few rain barrels as a supplement might be a good idea.

Sorry can't help with 5g a day, I'm only using about 1-2g a week. A small DI unit works good enough for me.

I'm currently in love with this one: http://spectrapure.com/manuals/ELIM-RO-1-2-BASIC-PRINT.pdf

It took me forever to find a unit without a post-filter, which is a complete waste for plants.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the pre-filter is a single unit that has to be replaced completely, but when the time comes I'll probably swap in the pre-filter canister from my previous unit.

When I lived in OK the water coming out of the tap was really good and most plants did not need any filtering.

I live in Muskogee, OK. My TDS meter reads 122 on water from the tap, and 1 ppm on water from my RO unit.

If you don't mind the reduced lifespan of the RO membrane you can put a tap in the waste water line and so the amount of the waste water is reduced. I do this for my plants and the membrane has lasted years.

If you don't mind the reduced lifespan of the RO membrane you can put a tap in the waste water line and so the amount of the waste water is reduced. I do this for my plants and the membrane has lasted years.

Not sure I follow this, pmatil. Are you saying you tap the waste water outlet to another line, or are you saying you plug the waster water line? *confused*

yeah the waste line can be plugged or a different connect used so that less waste water is produced. less waste water makes for shorter membrane life.

http://www.growonix.com/gx-series/GX150

Heres the unit I have. I've had it since feb 2012 and its still running on the same filters and making water with a ppm of 1. A 2:1 water to waste ratio.

Water is for childs, when you grow up, you need to drink beer :)

Seriously, i have the same problem, but with less water. My plant drink 20liters each month, and i will probably buy a unit like you.

crazy not to buy a unit if you gunna be around CPs longterm. pays for itself :)

if you are only having to fill it once a week it isnt so bad but they sell float valves that can be installed in the drums. thats what i use so the barrel is always full for me :) and i have a spigot installed in the bottom of the barrel.

If you restrict the waste water more than the flow restricter does... Not only are you stressing the membrane (clogging it), but you also instantly increase your "clean" ppm instantly. I have an adjustable flow restrictor sitting around that I've played with... If you put too much to waste it doesn't help your output... but the more backpressure you put (more restrictor) the faster you produce water, and the less you waste, but the PPM goes right up. As long as you find a balance, you're good. I prefer to keep mine running as manufactured for, and I have the waste water go into a huge tank (600 gallons I think) and when it gets close to the top, I turn on the pump and water all the plants around the front yard. :)

Back