Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first ever terrarium build!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first ever terrarium build!

Hi all. I'm brand new here, and yesterday I started the build on my first ever terrarium. Since I only had one pair of hands, it was a little difficult to put the whole thing together last night, so I just finished with the last panel a couple of minutes ago. I'm only planning on growing some moss, and want to create an almost Zen Garden-ish kind of landscape in my tank. I may however change my mind later on and introduce some other plants. I'm not sure if it is really neccessary, but I am going to include a fan to pull fresh air into the tank every so often, and also to keep fogging of the glass at bay.

Here then is my first picture of the tank I have just completed (it is 250 litres):

I came across a fairly large patch of moss the other day, and today I collected some and brought it home. I wet it and this is what it looks like - is this Spagnum moss?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it, looks like some of the weed species that I get occasionally. Sphagnum has very particular needs for growing well, you're not likely to just find it on a walk.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not sphagnum moss, I hate to say. Those sorts of mosses are pretty but usually they are found in an epiphytic situation, I think.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then. I finished my tank, and all that goes with it. Finished my planting today. Time will tell if the moss will grow.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you actually plan on putting carnivores in there, take the moss out now. Most mosses other than sphagnum will either choke out or poison carnivores, there's a reason you don't see them growing with other species of moss very often in the wild.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    If you actually plan on putting carnivores in there
    I'm not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is going to look nice once the moss settles in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great! I love building my own terrariums, and I think this one came out really well! Did you cut the glass yourself?
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast