Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drip or flood for cephs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of your comments! I'm still trying to wrap my head around which way I am headed without it getting too elaborate. Av8tor has a great flood system thats extremely straight foward that i have been eyeballing for awhile now. I also seen some great looking plants that are grown on a drip system from CPUK. While it might not be 100% nessary, Ive seen great results from these systems. I remember reading that major nurseries have always recommended drip system to get monster nepenthes. but dont quote me on that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been toying with adding a small 9-16 Ceph flood system to my LED rack to compare with the usual tray method. It would be modeled off Av's if I went forward with it. But I'm having a really hard time finding any information about prior attempts at growing Cephs in a flood system, where you able to dig any up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your thinking into this jcal?? To minimise your hand watering method?? Or to set something up as a trial??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    I've been toying with adding a small 9-16 Ceph flood system to my LED rack to compare with the usual tray method. It would be modeled off Av's if I went forward with it. But I'm having a really hard time finding any information about prior attempts at growing Cephs in a flood system, where you able to dig any up?
    Hey Ron,
    I will do some digging. I haven't been looking for the sources as of late. Just going off of memory of what I have read in the past months. One was a post from cpuk about a guy who got outrageous growth from his ceph which was on a drip system. I also believe I skimmed over something from one of the major nursery says that if you wanted very large pitcher from nepenthes, then drip is the way to go. I figured it may be worth a try.
    A drip system would be my preference, but I am leaning more toward av's setup for the same of ease.

Quote Originally Posted by wozzen View Post
    What's your thinking into this jcal?? To minimise your hand watering method?? Or to set something up as a trial??
    Hey Matt!
    It would greatly help free up some time watering. If I moved foward it would be for my entire collection. It has recently been getting more difficult to find free time to water like I should. But neglected plants always seem to look better than pampered plants for me .

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I read over Av's setup it made me think about changing a few things around, I've never been completely happy with watering trays but I have way to many plants to even think about any manual method.

I've used drip systems outdoors and have never really been happy with them.

I'm planning a flood trial soon as I think a drip system would be a lot more work to set up large scale if I go forward with one of these options, once you get over 6 or 10 plants a drip system would seem to become a nightmare to build and maintain. Plus I just don't think my Cephs would adjust as fast to drip (directed watering) since they have been more or less in a water tray for years.

Any links would be helpful, a lot of good information is buried in threads with weird names. I'm mainly concerned about the medium compressing over time with repeated flood/drains and reducing the airflow into the medium, which is the main reason I would be going to a different watering method to increase airflow into the medium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12