What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to upgrade my Lowland Nepenthes area!

I had a feeling it might be something like that. Maybe a greenhouse with an unglazed roof; get your light indirectly. But you've probably got the right idea doing it indoors, whatever it ends up taking to please the significant other.

That cabinet looks great. Why mess with success? If you did that I bet you could do something like this:

100_0257.jpg

With your LED bars you could surely do an attractive hidden lighting job on a low-profile tank. And you might win some points if the terrarium serves a function with whatever space it takes up. Or is that just wishful thinking?
~Joe

wow thats pretty nice......nowhere near tall enough unless you put some belli in there but nice.

Yeah, I'm thinking more of a serving table/china hutch type of shape, in the 30"-42" high range, maybe taller if you want to tier it. Or if you want to go vertical, you could do a wardrobe-style full height tank, and make it functional by bookending it with shelves. One of the things that appeals to me about tall designs is that I have a lot of old run-down T12s and I'd like to use them for side lighting.
~Joe

I think that fish tank is out of my skill level. Way better than my cabinet. Very nice work there.

Here is an updated photo of the cabinet, your fish tank made my cabinet look bad :p Note the dog nose, he just had to be in the photo.

DSC_1013 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

RSS,
I live about 6 hours northwest of you in the texas panhandle, and its just as bad here. I find it extremely difficult to grow neps outside. Venus flytraps are definitely doable but neps are def a no go without a lot of work. I grow my neps in a grow tent in my apartment.

I tried to grow a Ceph outside last year it ended very badly. Even if you get past the heat/cold you still have the hail storms so ALL of the cheap/inexpensive greenhouses would be full of holes by the end of the year.

We did visit the two chain hardware stores today. The PVC trim is more flimsy than I would like but I think it would work just fine. Well others have used it so it does work. I was just hoping it was more stable.

I went with the intention of picking up a sheet of the foil foam but one store only had really poor quality stuff and the other store had printing all over it and a giant penguin printed on it. I have one other store to check or its a giant penguin for my Ceph rack.

I think we have decided on a 48" X 24" X 30" PVC trim board setup. I might pick up a strip to play around with routing the grove in next time I'm out.

Lots of good info in Av's Heli thread I know I will be stealing some of it when I get to that point.

Still trying to work out a few ideas in my head here is a plywood/glass hybrid I drew up for my wife to see. Still learning the 3D software. This one would be just a 48" X 96" piece of plywood as the back and everything build around that.

Lowland by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the other contender at the moment, I've decided against the PVC trim board for one very good reason. It does not come in a large enough size to make the back and bottom out of so if I am going to have to seal any plywood why not just use all plywood.

A big drawback for this design is that I would still need to build a stand/rack of some sort.

Lowland 3 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

At many lumber places you can get sheets of PVC cut to size. It's usually thinner and more like plywood than the trim board is. I've built a tank much like yours out of PVC board with trim board used only for the areas supporting the glass. It takes some shopping around to track it down. For the time and money you'll spend water-proofing plywood you might as well use PVC.

I've been looking for PVC sheets or even the greenhouse sheets (multi wall polycarbonate) but I have been unable to locate any yet. We have about 10-20 chain stores for every 1 random other store down here so there is not a lot shopping I can do.

The time I've already spent looking for PVC sheets is worth more than the cost of the sealant :-O. Hopefully I can find some in the next few months otherwise I'll have to settle and just seal the plywood.

Back