User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade my Lowland Nepenthes area!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have found my indoor option, I just need to do my research for the "downside"

PVC Trim Board!

Its not my idea but from
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...onst-jrnl.html
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-vivarium.html
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...oard-tank.html
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-tank-3-a.html

With a little tweaking of the basic concept (using PVC cement instead of screws to hold it together) and using glass instead of plastics this idea could look really nice when completed and the white on the inside would reflect light. Just need to get my hands on a piece of this stuff and look for potential problems.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PVC sounds interesting but I couldn't find much info on pricing. Seems expensive at the big box store websites but I'm probably looking at the wrong stuff. I want to build a cabinet with a footprint of 4' x 2' or larger, so it doesn't take much height to pass the 250 gallon mark. I'll be doing a smaller tank before that for practice though. I don't think I have the tools to do a lot of glass work so I wanted to avoid it, but I know I saw 3' x 6' x 1/4" tempered glass panels at Home Depot for less than $100 recently. My aversion to all-glass is the combination of weight and fragility. I have to move this unit out of my second-floor aparment eventually, and even though I plan to have it broken into a 2' high bench/sump, 4' main tank and 1' light/fan box more than one glass side just seems too bulky. I was thinking of mounting the glass in trim in a fashion similar to the build you linked - I'd like to be able to detach it from the main cabinet for transportation.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PVC is more expensive than normal wood so you may be looking at the right stuff. The 44 X 20 X 22 one he says was under $50. I'm not sure if that was including the glass/plastic or not. Thin glass is cheap thou. I'll be heading to a hardware store tomorrow to play with a piece and see how durable it really is.

We have two of the big box hardware stores here and one of them will cut the glass they sale the other will not. So if you bring them the measurements they will cut it, now they are not exactly "good" or "trained" at this so you take your chances. That glass would still need to have the edges sanded/polished and that's a bit of work. Read up on it before you do it if you go that route, glass dust is some nasty stuff. Or you could go the route I'm planning on and that's to find a good local glass store to cut and polish the edges for me, it will cost a bit more but I think it worth the money in the end.

For a setup you plan to move something similar to that linked one might be perfect, just build the sliding glass doors so they are removable and the rest would be a wooden box. The plastic or glass panels would reduce the weight and cost a lot. Although you could do that with normal plywood and Pond Armor or the like.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have pieces of cut glass - they're just glued together into aquariums right now. :P This is largely a do-it-to-see-how-it-works-out project for me. I'm going to test out construction with foam insulation board too, and perhaps an open-wall design with plexi or acrylic as well.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I already have pieces of cut glass - they're just glued together into aquariums right now.
    I have torn apart a few tanks & it's never as easy as it originally appears. In fact, the last one I tried was completely destroyed. When the glass is glued well in those 'holders' at the top & the bottom, disassembly is rough. My local Home Depot carries assorted glass pieces & I've found that trimming those to the final size I want is much easier. By the time you finish ripping a tank apart (if you succeed), you could have mostly finished your new box.

If you're not looking at creating structural tanks, why not buy foil-backed foam insulation board in 4 x 8' sheets from a big box (vs plywood)? Av made one for his Heli's (which Jeremiah then successfully copied) and, iirc, Swords has made one or more of his own design (here's one thread but it looks like he yanked his pics - grrrrrr). If they don't show up to comment in the thread, I recommend shooting them a PM.

btw - Joe - good to see you back - it's been a while ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-29-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added link to Swords thread
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright these are some older pics but:

rough outside shot:

water reserve with pond fogger:

heater with fan: as you can see i mounted the heater on the outside and cut 'gills' into the plastic and the fan blows the heat into the chamber. this is an older pic....i switched to a smaller fan since.

i will add some new pics. i dont have any zoomed out shots but i here is one:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are some more recent pics in what i call "winter mode" the need for efficiency had to improve with the falling temps so foamboard insulation on all 6 sides, had to seal the gh so now using t8 florescent but will go back to sunlight later and had to seal in the heater area bc too much of it was being wasted.

temps went from 14-17 to 25-28 c.....also you can see the duct i used for summertime cooling but as i said this year i will add in a small swamp cooler. cross that bridge when i get to it.......still a very cheap alternative to keeping the stinky plants inside as I keep upgrading to eventually make the most of the gh my chamber.

sorry for the poor quality but i don't like to open it up much when it is cold. i have 4 or so exceeding 1 ft tall and recently had to cut one vine that was excess of 3 ft tall.

if you are asking why the plastic is over the fixture........it's like a cave in there above the grow chamber. if i didn't have that plastic water would most likely drip and get into the ballast which would ruin the fixture.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The things we do for our plants, I just have to laugh sometimes. My wife already thinks I'm crazy with a wine chiller on the kitchen table to try to grow a few orchids, I'm not sure she would agree with me building a greenhouse then building a mini house inside the greenhouse.

I just can't get past the summer heat part for a greenhouse setup, we have 2-6 weeks every year of 102-105 temps, the hot years are worse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast