User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade my Lowland Nepenthes area!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to try some foam boxes too. But I need to build cabinets for my workshop space anyways, so I'll have some spare materials around, and I want to practice my woodworking. And I've also got this 90 gallon tank that I don't know what to do with, and a few 30s and 40s as well that are just not very useful shapes. I may end up using salvage glass or plexi or the like. Before I try that I'll practice on some fives and tens, though.

One way or another I'm going to need at least some material sturdier than foam board, though - I can always put the tanks on my existing shelves, but I still want them framed rigidly enough to move easily. I want to keep my wiring and other sensitive equipment enclosed as well; I've never had anything go wrong yet but more than a few close calls.

Funny that you're in Texas; I get similar summer highs here in Washington. Although for me it's a microclimate - my apartment is on top of a hill that faces west and all the buildings nearby have black shingle roofs. I used to have a coldframe on my porch, because the exposure is really drastic in winter. In the summer I put my most sensitive pots behind the guardrail so that they're never exposed to direct sun, and I use fiberglass window screen for shadecloth in a pinch. This year I learned that Neps actually tolerate it pretty well. We've got reliable mid-range humidity around here though; I don't know if the same is true in your neck of the woods. I've been to the DFW area a number of times but all I remember is that it's not as muggy as Houston but just as hot.

Are you familiar with nepenthesaroundthehouse.com? I feel that it's a must-read for anyone who's passed the point of keeping their Neps in a petshop terrarium.
    ~Joe
    Last edited by seedjar; 12-29-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I don't know if the same is true in your neck of the woods. I've been to the DFW area a number of times but all I remember is that it's not as muggy as Houston but just as hot.

Are you familiar with nepenthesaroundthehouse.com? I feel that it's a must-read for anyone who's passed the point of keeping their Neps in a petshop terrarium.
    ~Joe
    We get droughts and heat at the same time, so I'd say 100-105 and 0% humidity is pretty common mid summer. Last summer the ground in the park had cracks almost 2" across due to the ground drying out so much. If it was a week or two I think I could work around it but its much longer and then its just goes down to 98-100 range.

I've checked that site out in the past some good info there, not a lot about building a grow area thou.

Here is my last woodworking project.

DSC_0972 by RSS_Build, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS,
    I live about 6 hours northwest of you in the texas panhandle, and its just as bad here. I find it extremely difficult to grow neps outside. Venus flytraps are definitely doable but neps are def a no go without a lot of work. I grow my neps in a grow tent in my apartment.
    Tower//Jake
    "Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."
    http://www.thecpforum.com <--- My site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ RSS.......it is in the far east corner of the back yard....instead of taking up space in the house......a trade off any sensible woman(or man for that matter) would make. she hears womp womp womp womp PUT THE PLANTS OUTSIDE womp womp womp womp. lol.

anyway gl with your conundrum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a feeling it might be something like that. Maybe a greenhouse with an unglazed roof; get your light indirectly. But you've probably got the right idea doing it indoors, whatever it ends up taking to please the significant other.

That cabinet looks great. Why mess with success? If you did that I bet you could do something like this:

With your LED bars you could surely do an attractive hidden lighting job on a low-profile tank. And you might win some points if the terrarium serves a function with whatever space it takes up. Or is that just wishful thinking?
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thats pretty nice......nowhere near tall enough unless you put some belli in there but nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking more of a serving table/china hutch type of shape, in the 30"-42" high range, maybe taller if you want to tier it. Or if you want to go vertical, you could do a wardrobe-style full height tank, and make it functional by bookending it with shelves. One of the things that appeals to me about tall designs is that I have a lot of old run-down T12s and I'd like to use them for side lighting.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that fish tank is out of my skill level. Way better than my cabinet. Very nice work there.

Here is an updated photo of the cabinet, your fish tank made my cabinet look bad Note the dog nose, he just had to be in the photo.

DSC_1013 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    RSS,
    I live about 6 hours northwest of you in the texas panhandle, and its just as bad here. I find it extremely difficult to grow neps outside. Venus flytraps are definitely doable but neps are def a no go without a lot of work. I grow my neps in a grow tent in my apartment.
    I tried to grow a Ceph outside last year it ended very badly. Even if you get past the heat/cold you still have the hail storms so ALL of the cheap/inexpensive greenhouses would be full of holes by the end of the year.

We did visit the two chain hardware stores today. The PVC trim is more flimsy than I would like but I think it would work just fine. Well others have used it so it does work. I was just hoping it was more stable.

I went with the intention of picking up a sheet of the foil foam but one store only had really poor quality stuff and the other store had printing all over it and a giant penguin printed on it. I have one other store to check or its a giant penguin for my Ceph rack.

I think we have decided on a 48" X 24" X 30" PVC trim board setup. I might pick up a strip to play around with routing the grove in next time I'm out.

Lots of good info in Av's Heli thread I know I will be stealing some of it when I get to that point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast