Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium/tank stand build log.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had made a similar style stand in college from leftover 2x4s my landlord gave me. Yours, however, looks a good bit prettier and well-planned. Does that thing weigh as much as it looks like it does?

Curious...what sort of automated watering system are you going to go for?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can still lift if by myself, its more bulky than heavy at this point. It should look a lot better after the 2nd coat + poly.

I'm going with a simple flood/drain system, right now I'm manually moving a lot of plants into a watering bin once a week, this will automate that so I just pump water into the tank and drain it out after a hour or so. Will cut a lot of my watering down.

I should start working on the tank part late this week.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second coat of stain has been applied, I'm about to go out and see what areas require touchup then its on to the poly coating.

DSC_1116 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here are the first set of drafts for the main tank setup. The weird blue mesh will actually be the white egg crating used for lighting but that's the best model I could find in Sketchup.

40 Breeder Stand + Tank by randallsimpson, on Flickr

There will be a 50W or so heater in the bottom 2-3" of water that remains in the tank, water will be flooded up to the top of the pots via the PVC pipe in the back and drained through the same pipe.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, I'm still working on the design at this point but that should be enough to convey the basic concept.

40 Breeder Stand + Tank Drain by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great. I suck at DIY projects...lol. But would be nice to make a custom stand, a custom tank with all the needed inlets and outlets like you are planning.

My question though is..why are you pumping in water? I find that the regular misting/watering is more than enough to fill up the bottom of the tank. If anything...every couple of months or so, I have to do a complete cleanup and remove all the water to ensure the pots don't touch the water.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to reduce my watering with the seedling and lot of what is going into this tank are prone to crown rot so misting is not really a good option without a lot of airflow. A flood/drain watering system seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely.

I've always read about people using a water reservoir heated with an aquarium heater to raise the temperature inside the enclosure and wanted to give it a go. Since I am planning on moving some Nep seedlings in I figured now was as good a time as any to test it out.

I've finished the stand and have moved it into its new home. I've added the PVC risers and the egg crating already. I might start adding plants tomorrow.

DSC_1117 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly how I set up lowland tanks. The heater gives you perfect temperature and humidity. It's almost too easy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a 50W aquarium heater I had left over from years ago and set it around 80 degrees then went to adding in the plants.

DSC_1120 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

If I can't get the humidity closer to the 70ish range I'll have to add a fan, its too early to tell but its looking like I'll need one . So far the temps are just about perfect.

DSC_1121 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Tomorrow is watering day so I'll see how the flood/drain part works out. I just finished up cementing the piping together.

DSC_1119 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Right now the new tenants are:

Paph. barbigerum seedlings
    Phrag. caudatum seedlings
    Sarcochilus ceciliae seedlings
    Nep seeds to fill in the extra space and take advantage of the higher temps.

I'll be using a few extra T5 lights until I get around to ordering the LEDs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two vertical pieces are where you attach lights? Will that light the back more than the front? The heater is lying flat and submerged, you will water by flooding - raising the water level to to top of the pots and dropping later. How does the piping for that work in both directions? Do you have a pump that can switch directions? Very nice setup!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast