Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium/tank stand build log.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be attaching some hanging plant basket brackets to the two vertical pieces that I will be hanging the lights from, I have not went out and found them yet. As long as I get the proper brackets then light will be even over the tank.

The heater is flat on the bottom and submerged, and that is how I hope the flooding will work. From my experiences refilling our 120g fish tank with a standard pump once you unplug the pump it automatically creates a syphon and starts draining. So the plan is to pump the water into the tank from a holding bucket, unplug the pump, close the on/off value, wait about an hour or so for the medium to saturate then open the value. If all goes to plan I will have a syphon once I open the value back into the holding tank. The intake/outtake pipe will be at the level I want to keep the water at so it will not overdrain.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Materials listing:

4 @ 2 X 4 X 10 - $4.22 each = $16.88 (We went with the better looking wood as we did not know if we were going to use a light or dark stain, cheaper options are available)
    2 @ 2 X 6 X 8 - $4.76 each = $9.52 (We went with the better looking wood as we did not know if we were going to use a light or dark stain, cheaper options are available)
    2 @ #10 4" Deck Screws - $9.37 each = $18.74 (Cheaper options available)
    1 @ #9 2 1/2" Deck Screws - $7.99 (Cheaper options available)
    1 @ 15 Pack Orbital Sanding Paper = $7.98 (Cheaper options available)
    1 @ Quart Stain = $9.49
    1 @ 10 Pack Paint Rags $3.97 (Could use old T-Shirts, I've used all mine up by now)
    3 @ 1 1/2" Brush - $1.79 each = $5.37 (Cheaper options available, could just use the cloths + 1 brush for the Polyurethane)
    1 @ 1/2 Pint Polyurethane $6.47

So far $77.04 + A lot of hours. You could probably get the cheaper options for around $35-40.
    Tank Materials

40G = $40
    Glass top = $22.99 (Could have glass cut for less)
    50W heater with adjustable temp = $17.99 (reused old heater)
    10 ft 2" PVC Pipe = $8.44 (reused old pieces)
    Lighting Egg Crating = $12.49 (reused old pieces)
    Silicone = $5.98 (used current tube)
    8' X 4' X 3/4" Refective Foam board = $10.33
    PVC fitting for flood/drain pipe = $8.03

Add another $126.25 + A lot less hours than the stand, ALOT less. If you went the cheapest route you could probably do this part for around $75-80.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread was pointed to in a discussion of yours on LEDs, do you have a better picture of the light you are using for this tank? and from the pic above it appears the front row of plants are getting much less light than the middle row directly below the light fixture. Do you find that to be true or even a problem?

I also should add that I LOVE that you are being so thorough in recording the costs and documenting the process with pictures. It helps so much to see this and get the ideas flowing on my end. Thanks a million for doing this!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This thread was pointed to in a discussion of yours on LEDs, do you have a better picture of the light you are using for this tank? and from the pic above it appears the front row of plants are getting much less light than the middle row directly below the light fixture. Do you find that to be true or even a problem?

I also should add that I LOVE that you are being so thorough in recording the costs and documenting the process with pictures. It helps so much to see this and get the ideas flowing on my end. Thanks a million for doing this!
    The lights on it right now are just temporary, they are 2 T5 strip lights I had left over. When I get everything setup correctly there should be more even lighting.

I've always found pricing useful on other builds logs I've seen around so I figured it would be helpful, glad it is useful to someone.

I ended up losing about a week due to a mini relapse. Everything for the lighting has been sitting on our table for over a week now taunting me, I was finally able to get some of the work done this morning. I'm still not able to attach the lenses to the LEDs, hopefully I will be able to tomorrow.

We added the shelf that the LED bars will be hanging from last week.

DSC_0093 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0094 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the progess on the LEDs from this morning.

DSC_0091 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0092 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the updated pics! These look great and the shelf is really coming along nicely.

Noticed the open air plants in the back, is your Texas home's humidity levels higher than mine? Which would only have to be higher than 35%-45% on average? Or are you similar levels and giving me some motivation to try a similar setup in my place?

Please say you are lower levels XD
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to get your hopes up but that rack is just for Cephalotus, so household humidity levels are just fine for them.

Here is that rack if you haven't found it yet. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uld-love-input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, ahhh, yeah I got my hopes up XD but it was nothing you did.

I just showed my wife your images and explained that this was nicely contained, the space enclosed and out of the way and her response to my proceeding question of, "...could you handle me having something like this out in open in our house?" was just laughter. So I got my response. Wife says no. So I guess I need to hold out hope we can find a house someday with space for a greenhouse out back or an extra room where I can do whatever the H I want to do.

Thanks for that link! I am awfully inspired by your setups, loving this!
    Odysseus

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS, it is a pleasure to watch your handy-work, as always. Your latest masterpiece is looking great. I can't wait to see how it fills out.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast