What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden Photos

Hi guys! I have a neat little request that I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me out with.

In June, I've volunteered to teach an adult-level class on how to grow carnivorous plants at my local botanical garden. Among many things I'll be teaching will be the basics of constructing various ways to grow CPs. I would love to have a powerpoint presentation with pretty pictures to serve as inspiration. I'm looking for a photo showing an awesome, large, well-constructed bog garden, possibly where the plants have had a year or so of maturation time. I will also have slides on "mini-bogs," "the windowsill garden," and "the tray method," so if you have especially attractive setups that fall under those categories, please pass those along if you want to.

If anyone has photos of their setups that they would allow me permission to use, I would be incredibly grateful. I am receiving no compensation and it's entirely a personal effort. It's my desire to inspire others to want to engage in this hobby, and I think the best way to do that is showcase what beautiful things we can create with a strong love of CPs. There are only a handful of CPers in Georgia and I'm seeking to change that. I can find photos elsewhere but I really value showing people what real enthusiasts have come up with.

If you have more than one, that's fine too and images can be sent to kevintheplantman@gmail.com. Thanks in advance for any help!!

My photo thread on here is full of pics of my bogs. Feel free to use any you'd like.

It's nice to hear from someone in GA! You are welcome to use any of my photos. One bog garden I have is just a peat filled pool buried in a raised garden. The garden is planted with veggies and other wildflowers, so the pitcher plants can sprout amongst any garden plant you wish to plant nearby:
100_2120_zps79ad8805.jpg

Also check out the photothread. It's not necessarily a bog graden, just a wet spot in my yard that has naturally occurring sundews, utrics, pings, and a transplanted colony of Sarracenia minor from my neighbors' land that I removed (with their permission) before they developed the land. I have planted a couple other Sarracenia and Drosera species in the bog. I suspect many people in Georgia have wet areas in their yard as well that may support some carnivorous plants.

ttp://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/134285-Astateen-s-photothread/page2

Good luck on your presentation! We do need more carnivorous plant gardeners in this state.

Thank you guys for your help and input, and also for having such great collections of plants! I'm very grateful!

astateen, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be more CP people in Georgia--I looked at the ICPS member list for GA recently and there are only 22 of us!! So I'm sort of on a crusade here and I hope it works out. Also, great job on your work with your natural bog. What a neat thing to get to play with! I'm a native plant nut too and the wildflowers look really gorgeous alongside the Sarrs. If you ever get ahold of Pine/Turk's Cap Lily, Rhexia virginica (Meadow Beauty) or Xyris (Yellow-Eyed Grass), those are great and beautiful noninvasive natives that I've enjoyed in my bog for years. Plus the native bog orchids (Habenaria, Calopogon, Platanthera, Pogonia) are just incredible but extremely difficult to find for sale.

Do you have any plans for a small prescribed burn? It might ease up the workload of removing all of those competiting plants.

Last edited:
I have several species of Rhexia and Xyris, but a lily would be awesome to have. I do have some Zephyranthes (I love the name and the flower; its like a white Amaryllis). Spiranthes verna are native to the bog, and I am growing a Calopogon. A lot across the street has wild Platanthera flava, but the owner has no plans to develope the area, so I just let it grow as it is. I am hoping over time, some may spread to the bog by seed.

Unfortunately burning does not kill the rhizomes of the Centipede grass. I just have to dig those up. Drosera and Utricularia subulata love to colonize the bare ground left behind!

Is there a botanical garden in Athens? I've only been there once to see the UGA campus.

Plantman,

Are you interested in a simple 2-3foot bucket bog garden I made back in 2005? It could be an example of a mini-bog and the pics I remember having aren't horrible and show the right after planting growth and then 4-6 months later. I do not believe I have a pic found recently of the 1-year mark.

Should I dig that up and share tonight? Or is it not quite what you are looking for?

Well, either way, let me share mine and you can decide whether it is interesting enough to use:

March 30th 2005 -- Grew it from my apartment front door step
DSCN2111_zpsfe4e6616.jpg

April 4th 2005 -- Started with a Sarr and a Darlingtonia Californica and various fly traps
BogGarden_1week_zps9f38c6ac.jpg

April 11th 2005 -- Quickly added four more Sarrs a week in
Boggarden_sarrsnew_zps2757ecab.jpg

June 23rd 2005 -- Months later with some Pinguicula added or maybe I am forgetting and they were dormant in the earlier pics
Bog_June23rd_zps87cb8c02.jpg

June 23rd 2005 -- Closer up shot
CloserBOG_June23_zps244d4241.jpg

June 23rd 2005 -- Same day, slightly different angle
DSCN2587_zps354eb32c.jpg

@astateen: It makes me happy to know there are still people out there in our state that appreciate natural resources like your bog. Please keep updating your progress on the plants because it's a really cool and unique situation! In Athens there's the State Botanical Garden of Georgia (http://botgarden.uga.edu/) where I will be teaching; it's affiliated with UGA. I work for UGA in the Plant Biology Department and manage a few research greenhouses and curate carnivorous plants, orchids, and other stuff for teaching and tours. If you're ever in the area on a weekday, I'd be happy to show you around--just give me a heads-up beforehand.

@Odysseus: I had the exact blue tub you have a couple years back and I too grew plants in it! I had it full of water and waterlilies and frogs! I think your bog's cool and a great, simple idea that a lot of people would go for. I'm still not sure what pictures I'll use since the presentation isn't until June. When the time comes, I'll just sort through what people have granted me permission to use. I appreciate you taking the time to dig those up and re-share! The 1-year mark thing was just my rough guesstimate of how long it takes a bog to look really settled in (if that makes sense). It seems your plants grew in really well!

Last edited:
So many nice setups. I wish I had something nice to contribute. I think what you are doing is great, theplantman. There need to be more people interested in growing CPs.

Back