Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on apothecary jar terrariums

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    I bet the U. sandersonii look amazing in there when they bloom. Do you have a picture of your setup? I can't believe it's unopened for years!
    The problem with not opening things for years is that they don't look amazing No airflow, no ferts, no bugs, nothing but what is in there already. To be fair this 2.5g was placed along side another tank and was only getting indirect light for about a year, a few months ago I moved it over to a windowsill.

Side view, ready for eating! For those wondering the fork is what I used to "harvest" the last batch I mailed out and my concern for this setup shown through by me leaving it in there and not removing it.

DSC_0046 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Top view, dusty glass top!

DSC_0047 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

For comparison, here is an Exo-terra I actually take care of, opened every week, watered, lightly fert, ect.

Utricularia sanderonii 'Blue' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I mailed off most of it early Nov 2013 (90%+ of it, it was really bare mud) and here is it now growing much faster than I expected.

DSC_0049 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! All of your terrariums contains Utricularia? I've not been a fan of them much since I've started collecting CP.
    But this makes me think otherwise, it's so green and pretty!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Not all of them but most of them do, only one species per terrarium usually so I don't end up with mixed Utrics.

A lot of the Utrics can look really nice when grown well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I have one Utric for sure because it's marked with the capensis I bought from California Carnivores. It's called U.bisquamata
    I just repotted my capensis though so I don't know how well the Utric is doing.
    I think I have other ones but I just am not sure what they are.

I was reading about how U. bisquamata and D. capensis grow in South Africa and would like to build a South African terrarium. Right now I have a tank with D. capensis w/ U. bisquamata, D. Regia in there and need to get the temperature a little higher. And lower my humidity.. All of the plants are in their own saucers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12