Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Building CP terrarium

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    The LED is a lower powered one, I found out.. It was a gift from my boyfriend I use it for supplemental lightning now since I have a T5 for the tank.. It's nice at nighttime because it has the blue/purple moonlight setting if you want to display your plants at night. The dew really shines bright with the moonlight setting! This is what it is: http://www.petco.com/product/122549/...rip-Light.aspx

How would the CREE cook the plants? I thought LED didn't put off heat. I've see some plants grown extremely close to LED lights before and they were doing fantastic! I don't know exactly what LEDs they were using though...
    I have no experience with the pre-made out of the box LED strips but you are expressing my concerns with them, not enough light.

LEDs can produce a TON of heat, that tiny little green square is the actual LED the rest is circuits and heatsinks.

DSC_0760 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Now you need to mount those onto a large heatsink, such as the one below. Those 7 little tiny green squared if turned up to full power can heat up that 22" solid aluminum bar hot enough to burn my hand.

DSC_0764 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

At the power level I run them at the heatsinks are just above room temp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Odysseus.
    I've been using a reflective sticky paper for the moment. I have it on the bottom and I need to tape the sides, and the back on since they have fallen off. I'm looking for a background for the finished terrarium; The 3D cork textured ones, if that makes sense. I haven't found one I like in pet stores yet so until then I'll be using the reflective sticky.

I don't have a top for my tank so thank you for bringing that up. I might wait to get one until I finish most of the setup. And plexiglass sounds like an easy answer to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang RSS! I did not realize that it would get that hot!!
    But just the heatsink would get that hot, the tank wouldn't be heating up because of it, right?

Where do you attach the aluminum bar heatsink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bet!

Honestly, it depends on what you want to grow and how humid it is in there naturally where you live. Here in the desert I need a lid, but I will often open it to let the humidity levels drop from HI to something around 65%+. Honestly, probably harder on my plants to have swings in humidity, but I am missing vents on my lid currently and so until I get them cut in the plexiglass, I have to settle for cracking it open or just taking it off entirely for short periods.

Ahh, so you want an environment image as a background. I get why you would like that from your original drawing. I do like the look of them. I usually don't bother with it because what I need even more than a creative background scene is light light and more light. But, if you do go for an artistic or environmental backing, you should really beef up your lighting on your plants so you don't miss the reflective back as much.

Currenly, just from your pics, your lighting seems on the low side. But not as low as how I started:

THIS

BECAME THIS

I recommend considering ease of maintenance and lighting as high priorities on your list for your tank. But true terrariums with soil medium in the bottom and plants growing inside is really cool. They just are short lived, as are many plants in a terrarium. Short because of them being best grown in open sun and air conditions (i.e. VFTs) or short because they just outgrow the tank. (i.e. Sarrs and Neps). Either way, I completely enjoy the year or so I get out of each plant in my terrariums and wouldn't tell you not to do it unless you already have an environment outside fitting CPs or a greenhouse.

Indoor terrariums are fun to build, fill with plants and rotate all sorts of CPs in and out. Looking forward to see yours all come together!

Last edited by Odysseus; 02-12-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    Dang RSS! I did not realize that it would get that hot!!
    But just the heatsink would get that hot, the tank wouldn't be heating up because of it, right?

Where do you attach the aluminum bar heatsink?
    Just the heatsink gets noticeably hot and only if I run them at higher power levels, which I don't.

Most of them are hanging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Odysseus.
    What I have been using right now for reflectors is old label laser printing paper that is silver mirror. It works pretty good I think. I don't have a laser printer so I ordered the wrong labels and finally have a use for them! I taped them to the sides and back and bottom of tank.

Just woke up this morning and my humidity is at 86%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you don't need a lid there. I wouldn't bother with one personally.

haha glad you found a use for those old labels! XD
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made my false bottom today with the egg crate and PVC. Next going to find tubing for the siphon..

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast