Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Building CP terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on! When you get a good picture moment, please share. Love following your adventure with this tank!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So today, I made two liquor jar terrariums with D. capensis in them... So we shall see how they turn out..

But the update on my terrarium tank is... I put in the false bottom, screen, siphon tubing, and added my substrate. Added driftwood piece, and rocks.. Then added the plants I'd like to use in the tank but kept them in their saucers for now. I'd like to see how the temp goes and humidity levels. Right now they are at 69 degrees and 81%

When I plant them into the soil, I will probably bring up the left a little bit for some variety in the substrate levels.. and I toyed with the idea of putting a Nepenthes in the driftwood somehow.. We shall see..

This is totally addicting. I'm like a terrarium addict now.. I want more bottles and more tanks! I've even started thinking of incorporating the wardian case idea with my sunroom somehow..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good so far.

I would either add a small internal fan or get the humidity down to the 60-70% range. Higher humidity without airflow brings on a whole range of new problems. I would not worry about night time humidity so much, but if your mid day humidity is over 70% I'd try to get it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you !!! You've been helping me so much, I really appreciate it.

Today the humidity is 75% I just turned the lights on this morning. I've taken off the reflective sheet I use from the top of the tank and am hoping that will give it some more airflow.

Since I don't have a small internal fan right now, what else could I do until I get one?
    I'll search the forums here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with RSS, a fan is a nice addition.

A cheap option are small computer fans. Simply wire it to any old AC/DC adapter you got laying around and you got a constant fan. You can timer it if you find that running all day is too much.

Looking great!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the times simply putting a pencil or something between the top and the lid is enough to reduce the humidity, it takes some trial and error to find the right gap, but over all a fan is usually better.

Here are the parts from the last fan I added, I removed the silly solar panel and just wired it to the power adapter and its been running 24/7 since. These are from overseas so they would take a long time to get here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131094125306...84.m1439.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400561978791...84.m1439.l2649

That fan is in this one http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ic-Cooling-Fun!, you can see it in a few of the photos.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you planning on transplanting the plants and putting them directly into the substrate, or just removing the saucers? Either way, I'd like to see how this turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been removing the temporary lid that I'm using to help with the humidity levels. The lowest I saw it get to today was 70.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast