Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Building CP terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    How long is "yet" ?

If it is less than 2 weeks, and nothing is going brown, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Thanks I should of been more specific hahah.. But it's been less than 2 weeks, probably about 1 week, I wrote it down in one of my books..
    It's not going brown yet so YAY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    They are completely inside the terrarium, my goal is to move the air inside the terrarium around without lowering the humidity much.

They will be on 24/7, but you could get good results with just daytime running.
    I've noticed that when I use a little fan I have for the house near the top of the tank, some of the capensis lose their dew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, do you want the light fixture inside your tank? Covering the top with a glass or plexiglass won't block your light source and will allow humidity to rise.
    Will T5 lights get too hot for plexiglass?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    I've noticed that when I use a little fan I have for the house near the top of the tank, some of the capensis lose their dew.
    Angle the fan so less airflow is hitting the tank or place a small object in the way of the fan to reduce the airflow going in. Dew loss is "generally" a humidity issue, although it can be many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    Will T5 lights get too hot for plexiglass?
    They can, I have 4 difference plexiglass pieces all under the same T5s and only 1 of the pieces shows signs of melting. The lower quality of the batch I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there can be some warping. Nothing worth not having the plexiglass for, since plexiglass is cheaper than glass.

Are you resting the lights ON the plexiglass or just above it?

And I am glad your dielsiana has been transplanted less than two weeks. When you disturb the plant with transplanting it takes some time for the plant to get adjusted and growing and dewing up again. No worries about it.

Also, some older leaves will go brown, it is the growing new leaves going brown that would be any sign of concern. Most likely, in another week or so you will have some awesome growing dielsianas in there!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, the recommended "Cold Spot" temp of T5HO is between 45-50c, recommended maximum is 100c
    This cold spot temp is typically reached when the bulb is in an ambient temp of 95f

"Cold spot" is where the excess mercury condenses inside the bulb, its the coolest part of the bulb... on T5's this is usually about center IIRC
    On T8 and T12 the Cold Spot is closer to the ends

Outside of this recommended range, efficiency and output drops considerably.... T5HO by their very nature should run pretty dang hot.

When designing a setup, careful consideration should be given to this if you want all the efficiency you can get from your bulbs

The art is keeping the bulbs hot enough while the plants stay cool and humid enough
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 02-27-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there can be some warping. Nothing worth not having the plexiglass for, since plexiglass is cheaper than glass.

Are you resting the lights ON the plexiglass or just above it?

And I am glad your dielsiana has been transplanted less than two weeks. When you disturb the plant with transplanting it takes some time for the plant to get adjusted and growing and dewing up again. No worries about it.

Also, some older leaves will go brown, it is the growing new leaves going brown that would be any sign of concern. Most likely, in another week or so you will have some awesome growing dielsianas in there!
    Right now I don't have a lid so the lights are just hanging from some scrap wood pieces.
    I was thinking about making a lid and plexiglass seems like a cheap and easy material for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    FWIW, the recommended "Cold Spot" temp of T5HO is between 45-50c, recommended maximum is 100c
    This cold spot temp is typically reached when the bulb is in an ambient temp of 95f

"Cold spot" is where the excess mercury condenses inside the bulb, its the coolest part of the bulb... on T5's this is usually about center IIRC
    On T8 and T12 the Cold Spot is closer to the ends

Outside of this recommended range, efficiency and output drops considerably.... T5HO by their very nature should run pretty dang hot.

When designing a setup, careful consideration should be given to this if you want all the efficiency you can get from your bulbs

The art is keeping the bulbs hot enough while the plants stay cool and humid enough
    Thank you. This will help me when I start designing a lid.
    I honestly didn't think about the efficiency of my bulbs.. I just figured I could put them on top and when they burn out I'll replace them, ha...

An ambient temp of 95f?? The bulbs temperature or the environment around the bulb(my tank)?

How would you measure the temperature of the cold spot?

I hope I'm understanding this correctly..

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast