What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dang RSS! I did not realize that it would get that hot!!
But just the heatsink would get that hot, the tank wouldn't be heating up because of it, right?

Where do you attach the aluminum bar heatsink?

Just the heatsink gets noticeably hot and only if I run them at higher power levels, which I don't.

Most of them are hanging.

Thanks Odysseus.
What I have been using right now for reflectors is old label laser printing paper that is silver mirror. It works pretty good I think. I don't have a laser printer so I ordered the wrong labels and finally have a use for them! I taped them to the sides and back and bottom of tank.

Just woke up this morning and my humidity is at 86%

Sounds like you don't need a lid there. I wouldn't bother with one personally.

haha glad you found a use for those old labels! XD

Made my false bottom today with the egg crate and PVC. Next going to find tubing for the siphon..

Right on! When you get a good picture moment, please share. Love following your adventure with this tank! :D

So today, I made two liquor jar terrariums with D. capensis in them... So we shall see how they turn out..

But the update on my terrarium tank is... I put in the false bottom, screen, siphon tubing, and added my substrate. Added driftwood piece, and rocks.. Then added the plants I'd like to use in the tank but kept them in their saucers for now. I'd like to see how the temp goes and humidity levels. Right now they are at 69 degrees and 81%

4FF04ABC-AA8F-46A7-88BF-4326D1161BC0_zpsm5itwske.jpg

81E067C3-C32F-45F5-ADF1-830FAADB9F1D_zpsquuvmr1e.jpg

AF357692-DE8C-4F55-B8A1-5165B1196D5E_zpsvq3mseac.jpg

When I plant them into the soil, I will probably bring up the left a little bit for some variety in the substrate levels.. and I toyed with the idea of putting a Nepenthes in the driftwood somehow.. We shall see..

This is totally addicting. I'm like a terrarium addict now.. I want more bottles and more tanks! I've even started thinking of incorporating the wardian case idea with my sunroom somehow..

Looks good so far.

I would either add a small internal fan or get the humidity down to the 60-70% range. Higher humidity without airflow brings on a whole range of new problems. I would not worry about night time humidity so much, but if your mid day humidity is over 70% I'd try to get it down.

Thank you !!! You've been helping me so much, I really appreciate it.

Today the humidity is 75% I just turned the lights on this morning. I've taken off the reflective sheet I use from the top of the tank and am hoping that will give it some more airflow.

Since I don't have a small internal fan right now, what else could I do until I get one?
I'll search the forums here..

Agreed with RSS, a fan is a nice addition.

A cheap option are small computer fans. Simply wire it to any old AC/DC adapter you got laying around and you got a constant fan. You can timer it if you find that running all day is too much.

Looking great!

A lot of the times simply putting a pencil or something between the top and the lid is enough to reduce the humidity, it takes some trial and error to find the right gap, but over all a fan is usually better.

Here are the parts from the last fan I added, I removed the silly solar panel and just wired it to the power adapter and its been running 24/7 since. These are from overseas so they would take a long time to get here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131094125306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40056197879...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That fan is in this one http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...ium-I-m-Trying-It!-Thermoelectric-Cooling-Fun!, you can see it in a few of the photos.

Are you planning on transplanting the plants and putting them directly into the substrate, or just removing the saucers? Either way, I'd like to see how this turns out.

I've been removing the temporary lid that I'm using to help with the humidity levels. The lowest I saw it get to today was 70.

Are you planning on transplanting the plants and putting them directly into the substrate, or just removing the saucers? Either way, I'd like to see how this turns out.

I'd like to put them directly into the substrate. I am doing a test run with the substrate in there so I can see how it will affect the temperature and humidity. Also testing out the siphon tubing.. And with them still in pots I can change around the design a little bit before I plant it all in.....

The terrariums I did the other day I tested out D. capensis in recycled alcohol bottles. And I also started a small terrarium with a Ping. It's a glass bowl with a glass lid... I'm trying out all the different methods to make my plants the happiest and to make them the most aesthetically pleasing for me!!m :D

So far I've planted one plant into the substrate to see how it works. I'm still having issues with humidity but I haven't been able to get a small computer like fan for the tank yet. I've been using a small fan that we had in the house. I put it next to the tank and a little bit higher from the lid and it seems to help. The humidity drops quickly, if I turn it off it also increase incredibly fast as well..

I might put some seeds into the terrarium tonight as well.. And make labels for my plants.

I saw this online last night when searching for ways to lower the humidity in my tank.. http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry-333-mini-dehumidifier/

Here are some pictures of what I planted. It doesn't have any dew yet.

2EF61383-F2A1-40D2-ACE1-ADB613355141_zpsanm3pfjm.jpg

E5172AA1-1FA9-44F5-A193-F723DF1F5DF0_zps8bev2zg0.jpg

This is the plant it came from
3770FC70-71C6-41ED-98A4-FB8214005DF0_zpsumyfoqhe.jpg

Finally got around to adding the two fans to an older terrarium and figured I'd share some photos, might be of some help.

Here are the two fan from the e-bay link earlier in the thread, the one on the left I have removed the two metal clips with a pair of pliers. It was really easy. Next I cut the two wires, make sure and cut them as close to the bottom base as you can, the wires are not very long and even an extra 1/4" can make life a lot easier.

DSC_0112 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I will be skipping all the electrical wiring as the nanny state we live in someone would likely sue me and win if they followed my directions and burned down there house due to an oversight. I'm simply going to silicone the mount directly to the top glass, make sure you plan a way to remove these fans as they will fail at some point.

DSC_0113 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Place it and brace it so it will not move for atleast 3-4 hours, overnight would be better.

DSC_0114 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0115 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Tomorrow morning I will be mounting the other one, the following day I should have everything running.

Will you see the fans in the tank when it's all set up?

I've never noticed them in your pictures..

How often do they turn on?

The D. dielsiana that I planted into the substrate hasn't taken off yet... I'm not sure why

But I have the ones in the pot right next to it and they are doing fantastic...

Do you think it's the water level in the soil? Maybe it need to be wetter?

How long is "yet" ?

If it is less than 2 weeks, and nothing is going brown, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Will you see the fans in the tank when it's all set up?

I've never noticed them in your pictures..

How often do they turn on?

They are completely inside the terrarium, my goal is to move the air inside the terrarium around without lowering the humidity much.

They will be on 24/7, but you could get good results with just daytime running.

Back