Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Questions

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man I'm hardly an expert. I was just doing some research on T5 vs. T8 bulbs in terms of energy efficiency and heat output and all that and a couple different sources said that T12s have been in the process of being phased out for a couple years, and soon they won't be sold anymore. They're just an older, significantly less efficient technology and there's basically no reason to not use either T5s or T8s.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T12 are less efficient than T8s, T8s are less efficient than T5s. I'm pretty sure they have stopped making T12 bulbs altogether and are just selling the existing stock. I would expect T8s to follow the same path in a few years.

From a random article on the web, from what I know it appears correct enough to get the basics across.

"DOE is regulating T12 lamps and some T8 lamps, incandescent lamps, and other inefficient technologies as a method of moving energy consumers to be more efficient. The new standards for linear fluorescent lamps is based on efficacy, or ensuring that newer lighting technology offers greater lumens (light output) per watt and a higher CRI (Color Rendering Index.) In effect since July 2012, the legislation eliminates nearly all 4-foot T12 lamps, some 4-foot T8 lamps, most 8-foot T12 lamps, and almost all standard halogen PAR38, PAR30 and PAR20 lamps from the market."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you both for the info.

I am glad for the update being all progress, I am just concerned about my fixtures going obsolete. They were cheap Lowe's shoplights but still...was just moving them back indoors to start some seed

Thanks for the heads up!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12