Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Overkill Terrarium with Custom Rock Face & Waterfall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to try the water-pumped-from-a-mini-fridge approach. I'd like to see how that works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks awesome! Keep us updated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design, but isn't a 75 going to be a bit small for Neps?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the praise guys!

@Sub - Yes and no. Since I have only been growing plants for a little under a year, none of my nepenthes have made it to the stage where they require a larger setup. This tank (since it is my first) had to at least look cool, but still allowed me to test out some designs features that could be used in a larger environment later. I made sure to do a potted landscape design so I could grow a larger variety of plants and also remove/swap plants as they out grew their conditions. Think of the terrarium as the "show room floor" while the grow racks and cloning chambers in my closet and garage are the "back of house/warehouse" of the operation.

And don't worry, my bicalcarata is already clawing its way out of its 6" pot haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Carbonetc - My biggest fear with the coolant line is simply not knowing how much the plant uses its roots for temperature control. There is a lot higher thermal coefficient using the water and soil versus just blasting in cold air so that will do something but nepenthes roots are not all that massive as far as I have seen. I am shooting for an average air temperature in the intermediate nepenthes range. Soil wise I should be able to reach mid 50's in the cool zone while keeping low to mid 70's in the warm zone. I just got to hope the small amount of plastic insulation I have between the two zones will be enough to separate the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is bloody annoying. I finally get my tank moved back into position and am ready to actually start setting things up and I notice a hole in the bottom conduit. For some reason I am having a hard time getting the silicone to adhere to the surface of the "rock." It adheres to itself just fine so it has created a barrier, except any minute holes in the silicone the water finds and slowly seeps throughout. Here's a picture where I had to peel back a lot of the loose silicone. Looks like I will be sitting back for a couple more days to let this new batch of silicone dry. Any of you guys have suggestions on using silicone?

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. On the plus side, as you intended, this build will bring to light the possible issues you would face with a future larger build.

I don't know if it would help the silicone to adhere if the plastic surfaces of the conduit were scuffed first with sandpaper.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Prince Ruffus Magnium tuballkain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I love that set up! Nice work!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast