Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Large display paludarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitten by the bug of bug biting botanicals.

Best of luck! There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help you out. I think you'll be happy to find out that a lot of nice stuff can be grown without any kind of terrarium or supplemental conditioning. Feel free to hit me up again here or at the Dendro's again if you have any questions.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing me in this direction & the offer of more help still.

The frog forums & many venders have care sheets that give a synopses of what each critter needs in the way of temp, humidity, food, space etc. Is there some place that gives the high points of what all these different types of CP need? I have found some info but just a little here & there. Trying to figure out which of them would go with which.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a bit basic but it has some good info.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think N. ampullaria could adapt to those temperatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
    The frog forums & many venders have care sheets that give a synopses of what each critter needs in the way of temp, humidity, food, space etc. Is there some place that gives the high points of what all these different types of CP need? I have found some info but just a little here & there. Trying to figure out which of them would go with which.
    Jim,
    Barry's faq (that was quoted above) is probably the best thing but a quick chart showing elevation ranges may give you more of what you're looking for. This is a sticky in the Nep section. The chart provides the basic sections, but even within, there are fuzzy areas. For example, N. fusca is listed as intermediate but it's elevation range is 300-2500m (pretty huge). Some plants also tend to be a bit different then the others in the group. N. campanulata is listed as a ULL but tend to handle (& like) somewhat cooler temps than the others (iirc). N. argentii has a reputation for being picky & hard-to-please no matter how it's grown. However, this chart is a decent start to know what plants fall into what temp ranges.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I was more talking about different kinds of CP more than different N. but good to know about the elevations too. I've been doing some reading about some N. that I heard were smaller or easy keepers. Beside the differences/exceptions you mentioned, different people seem to have success with different conditions with the same plants too. I did find more or less what I was talking about on ****** Carnivorous Plants AKA Flytraps site.

Yes The N. ampullaria's seems to be one of the universal suggestion for tanks with frogs, but there seems to be a shortage of them this year. I just received a dwarf maxima, more than one told me that maximas are easy keepers & the dwarf part was just what I wanted & needed. I also bought a Cephalotus, which will go in one of the pots imbedded in the rock wall. Should have the cooling system running tomorrow. Will post pix of new plants & cooling system in a couple days. It's been a pretty good week for my tank!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update photos of CP plants

I did with help from several CP people get a couple bug eaters.

It's a dwarf Maxima. This is it back in may about a month after I got it. When I got it, it only had one open pitcher & one about to open. The thing grows like a weed! Can't wait for it to start to vine.

Same view this week.

As you can see it has one about to open & two new leaves in the works. Also the original tiny pitcher.

The view from the backend on the tank so you can see how many pitches it has grown.

I am so pleased with the choice of the dwarf Maxima, it is obviously happy in a terrarium. I've been feeding new pitches when they get fully open but how often after that do most feed them??

Got this little guy (Cephalotus) a while after the Maxima. No new photo of it but it has grown really well too, 3-4 new pitches on it so far.

Thank You all for all the help learning about these guys!
    Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spectacular
    Your momma!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast