Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Large display paludarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim's Large display paludarium

I recently built a large paludarium (a terrarium with a water feature, I had never heard that word before not so long ago). It is 60X30X48" tall. I have nearly always had a fish tank & put my self through school working in a nursery, so always had a lot of plants but never any CP before. I'd like to include one or two CP in this tank & found this site through one of the dart frog sites. Any way here are just a couple photos.

Be happy to answer any question (one reason is I plan on asking some question) but here is a rather long build thread that starts at the very beginning.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-my-first.html

Will be looking for one or two lowland nepenthes. The temps in this tank are 80-82 day & low 70s night. One of the first things I saw here was a thread with photos of a N. tenuis which was the exact type plant I had hoped for, vining, small pitchers & not dense foliage. Then I learned they need pretty cool night temps.

One of the first things I learned about these plants is there hard to find for sale. I was told by the guy that told me about this site the best way to get them is trading. That only works if you have something to trade. I've found one or two venders that may be able to help but if you have any suggestions of plants or where to find them I'd be glad to hear 'em.

Thanks
    Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy. Cow. That is gorgeous. I want one in every room of my house.

Well done, and good luck finding plants!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you've discovered, you are going to have to choose which Nepenthes you acquire with their climate needs in mind; the highland types (which dominate the genus) must have cool night temps (mid fifties, and in some cases, lower) to thrive in the long term. There are a number of hybrids between the two types (warm growers and cool growers) that would be easy to grow, and pretty much any hybrid using N. ventricosa or N. maxima would be good choices. However, it might be best to avoid lowland species, since your day-to-night differential is barely ten degrees, and daytime highs you say are 82F at most, which may not be warm enough for many of the true lowland species. It is for this reason that I suggest you first try hybrids which are much easier to grow and will acclimate to a broader range of temps.

That said, I probably have a hybrid or two that would be suitable to try, if you are interested -- we can discuss options in private. (PM me if you want to know more)

PS: It isn't difficult to find Nepenthes for sale, but it helps to know who the vendors are -- it isn't easy to glean that information from a generic Web search. We aren't allowed to name vendors here (this forum is owned and operated by a plant supplier; http://www.flytrapshop.com/servlet/t...hes/Categories) but you can ask in private for recommendations.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 05-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    Beautiful setup - congratulations. I love all of it but especially your 'rock' cliff. I read your thread over on the dart frog forum - have you had any leaching issues with the grout? Iirc, you covered the submerged rocks with an epoxy - was that necessary?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin' good! x2 While I don't have any tenuis I can hook you up with a rooted N. ventricosa cutting if you just want something to play around with to get your feet wet.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Jim,
    Beautiful setup - congratulations. I love all of it but especially your 'rock' cliff. I read your thread over on the dart frog forum - have you had any leaching issues with the grout? Iirc, you covered the submerged rocks with an epoxy - was that necessary?
    I kept the rocks when done in a covered container & hosed them down every day for 30 days. I was told that would take care of the leaching issue & looks like it did because have had no problems. Most don't epoxy submerged grout rocks but since I filled those parts with lead so they would not float I was just adding a belt to my suspenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdaxFlamma View Post
    Lookin' good! x2 While I don't have any tenuis I can hook you up with a rooted N. ventricosa cutting if you just want something to play around with to get your feet wet.
    Thank You, But I am working with a couple other sources right now & a way to lower the night temp some too. This is the most generous group I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, both with help (had a couple mutable PMs with members here already) & offers of free starter plants! Had never thought of it before but I've been thinking about putting together another tank for other types of Cps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
    Had never thought of it before but I've been thinking about putting together another tank for other types of Cps.
    ...... & so it starts
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast