Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Zath's CP Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update!

Thanks to fellow TF member Johnny, I am now in possession of my first Elder God, err...I mean, Utrics.

U. Calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
    U. Calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth' 6-10-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

U. Calycifida 'Asenath Waite'
    U. Calycifida 'Asenath Waite' 6-10-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

The latter has a flower stalk with an unformed bud at the tip, so I've got my fingers crossed that it will open up for me. Cthulu did an excellent job packing the plants, and though it's a bit early, I'm wondering if they suffered very much trauma at all. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm so happy about these. My Lovecraft itch has been scratched a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hooray for air-circulation. BOO for potential fire-hazard.

Hardware update!

Got my fan installed...well...not installed. It's just in there and turned on, really.

Terrarium Fan by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

...and the fire hazard bit...
    Shoddy Fan Hookup by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Terrarium conditions 24 hrs after fan installation:
    Terrarium Cond. by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And just to prove I'm not killing anything, and to get some green in this post:
    D. Burmannii 6-11-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Little D.Burmannii are eating, and surprisingly, a good number of the leaves regained their dew, rather than dying off and being replaced by new growth.

An unintended benefit of the fan is that my glass doesn't fog up as bad now, so I don't have to wipe it down every time I want to take pictures, lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burmannii is adorable. Best way to enjoy it is as a carpet of thousands. They can be fed like crazy, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Burmannii is adorable. Best way to enjoy it is as a carpet of thousands. They can be fed like crazy, too.
    I'm half hoping / half terrified that that is exactly what I'll end up with, lol.

One thing I'm a little concerned about, maybe someone can answer this for me:

The D. Burmannii on the left came with a wilted flower that I snipped off because it was ugs. But from what I've read, these are regarded as annuals in the wild, though can be kept alive for a couple years if not allowed to flower.

Since it had one, and I was not able to get any seed from it, should I be expecting to lose that plant at the end of the year, or do you think it'll make it to spring and flower again?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good looking plants
    My D. burmannii tends to grow in patches too, sometimes taking the whole pot around whatever plant is already in there. Good news is, I've never had them choke out a plant or anything. My plants flower many many times without dying, I have plants that have easily flowered 6+ times... and still have all the flower stalks on them and continue to grow with no problem. I'm not sure if it's they get plenty of food in the greenhouses, or what- but it's not a problem for me. I believe annual refers to will die when it get cold, in my greenhouses they can make it through the winter, although grow a bit slower since it is cooler. If for some reason it does decide to die off after that, let me know and I'll send you some seeds. =)
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew. I suppose I shouldn't worry then, because they are your D. Burmannii. :P

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, thanks for the review! I'm sure your dews will be fine, the very fine roots scare people but they really are easy to transplant... Make sure the roots go into the hole and then fill in the media the best you can, I usually use the back end of the tweezers to kinda do that. Then when I'm done, lightly push down on the whole plant to get it down against the media. I've never lost one for transplant, and have (so far) never been contacted for one being lost (either by my planting or their own). At first I thought yours had their roots up and over the plant... but I think that's something else or else the plants would be indicating a problem by now.
    Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by adnedarn; 06-11-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my way turned out a lot easier, lol.

To plant them, I just turned them over in my hand, roots up; grabbed a fingerful of really, really wet (think snot consistency) substrate, and literally just popped it on the bottom. It stuck to the plant like flypaper. Then I just set them on the mostly filled pot and pressed down gently with my finger. The back-filling was easier, since the plants already had soil beneath them, so I didn't have to worry overmuch about dirtying their leaves.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast