Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Zath's CP Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    Looking good Zath! That is a flower on the U. sandersonii for sure. I just add U calycifida to the collection too and will be learning to grow that one right along with you. Fingers crossed!
    It seems like every time I hear a new care-tip for U. caly it's diametrically opposed to what I'm doing with them, lol. For instance, no intense light (even though the Asenath Waite kept and continued growing it's flower stalk under two 48" T8's, and despite shipping shock (may be why the stalk isn't straight at the bottom).

And while the Yog-Sothoth did lose two 'leaves', it replaced them with those little purple ones quickly. I've also heard they like highland conditions, which I'm not providing, atm. (No temp drops beyond the 10-15 degree house drop)

Not saying they're in "ideal" conditions, but I have an idea they're pretty adaptable.

Good luck with yours (and I'm not putting down anyone who gave me advice on them, either. Just making observations)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice, love the terrarium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pk. And thanks to Andy for re-naming my thread for me.

Gonna use this as a general picture thread from now on (it was becoming one anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some clearer pics

A couple of these were just taken to be clearer. I decided to set up the tripod for these to get nice pics for my records.

P. Moctezumae
    P. Moctezumae 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

My cute little Burmannii. I think the one on the left is sweet on the other one. (I stare at them too long)
    D. Burmannii 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis from Acro's giveaway (2 more are in a second pot)
    D. capensis small by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. Aliciae
    D. Aliciae 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And (I think) a much better pic of the capensis x spatulata
    D. capensis x spatulata 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And a plug of U. Bisquamata
    U. Bisquamata 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

When all of the dews have their dew (haha) I can start a little feeding regimen that isn't completely random.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Zath, what soil mix do you have for P. moctezumae? How much water does it get?
    Looks like a lot of hard work went into that terrarium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Hey Zath, what soil mix do you have for P. moctezumae? How much water does it get?
    Looks like a lot of hard work went into that terrarium!
    I cheated with the Ping soil. I didn't really know what I was doing, coupled with not being able to find all the correct supplies, so it's:

Approx. 3 parts peat, 1 part play sand, 3 parts APS (well rinsed)

I don't think a person on this site would recommend that particular mix, but my particular plant seems to enjoy it. It's even flowering again, lol.

As for water, it sits in it's own little individual tray. During the summer I'm letting it fluctuate between 1"-1/4", then refill. It will be considerably less when / if the plant shifts into succulent mode. (I'm still unsure if the P. Moc does.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moctezumae does switch into succulent mode, but instead of producing fleshy little leaves it turns into something resembling an unopened flower bud. I couldn't really get mine out of that state. Can't say what happened to my plant after that, but I believe it's dead. I dislike growing plants that have peculiar dormancies that don't correspond cleanly with my weird Portland weather. I don't believe that it requires a dormancy, as most of my other Mexican Pinguicula have never reached succulency and if they ever do it's due to a lapse in my watering schedule. Same with my pygmy and tuberous Drosera, although my D. peltata did survive the wintry snowstorm and is coming back strong!
    Last edited by Apollonian; 06-29-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Moctezumae does switch into succulent mode, but instead of producing fleshy little leaves it turns into something resembling an unopened flower bud. I couldn't really get mine out of that state. Can't say what happened to my plant after that, but I believe it's dead. I dislike growing plants that have peculiar dormancies that don't correspond cleanly with my weird Portland weather. I don't believe that it requires a dormancy, as most of my other Mexican Pinguicula have never reached succulency and if they ever do it's due to a lapse in my watering schedule. Same with my pygmy and tuberous Drosera, although my D. peltata did survive the wintry snowstorm and is coming back strong!
    It would be interesting to know what kind of light cycle you had for it, and for how long.

From what I've read, if you don't reduce the photoperiod to around 10-ish hours for a few months in the winter, what will end up happening is the plant will last for nearly two seasons in it's carnivorous phase, then switch to it's succulent phase, and not come out of it unless and until it's dormancy requirement is met. (If they start declining at that point I'm unsure, I would assume so)

That is paraphrase, of course, of a mixture between an ICPS article and a Barry Rice article.

What I'm going to try is; reducing it gradually (in a separate tank) to a 10-hour photoperiod around say, November. Then increase it back to a 14-16 hour period towards the end of February. During those four months it will receive significantly less water, and I'm probably not going to bother heating the tank unless the house gets down into the 40's (because power went out, most likely).

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast