Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Zath's CP Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    I never get tired of seeing U. sandersonii in flower. Such an easy grow, but so rewarding! Had to revisit your thread today to get caught up. Looking good!
    Thanks. I agree about the Sandersonii. Not much to look at at first, but man, when it starts flowering, it's pretty neat looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some seedling updates and MORE!!

Picture time...because why not?

Let's start with a pic of U. bisquamata which is undoubtedly more impressive than it is in person. :P
    U. Bisquamata 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And a fluke of a picture that turned out beautifully (U. Sandersonii)
    U. Sandersonii 8-3-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

S. Psittacina sprouts, approx. 1 1/2 weeks after sowing.
    S. Psitaccina 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Darlingtonia californica sprouts. Well...one is, anyway. I think the other is a sphagnum tendril cleverly hiding behind a seed. :P
    D. californica 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. sp. 'Lantau Island', approx. 3 weeks after sowing.
    D. 'lantau island' 1 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr
    D. 'lantau island' 2 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And finally...I'd like some opinions on this one; It's my newly crafted shade-box. I meant to only use it for a few plants, but being economical with water is important for me, so I ended up not being able to spare a second tray for just a couple pots.

In this pic you should be able to see a clear division between the shade and sun. This was taken around 4 p.m. in full sun. Is this TOO dark? When I bought it (by the yard at Wally World) I thought it was pretty darn sheer, as I can see my hand through it, but after I set it up, it seems awful dark. Any input?
    Shadebox Effect by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you can't make a little shade cloth beach umbrella for D. adelae. Then the rest could be in the full sun still. I like what you've done with the place tho! I might be interested in a future trade for a 'Lantau Island' if you end up with extras.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
    Too bad you can't make a little shade cloth beach umbrella for D. adelae. Then the rest could be in the full sun still. I like what you've done with the place tho! I might be interested in a future trade for a 'Lantau Island' if you end up with extras.
    Absolutely! Those will likely be my first giveaway, but I'll definitely remember the people who've shown me past generosity. If the D. filiformis (only two sprouts) and D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red' (none) pick up, I'll have more to offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't feel like waiting until tomorrow. I had at least two people say the shade looked too dark, so I tinkered with it.

This is the last option I have -on hand- to use as improvised shadecloth...and it's a relative step back in technology, lol. Good ol' Burlap.

Sb front by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

top:
    SB top-view by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

These shots were taken in uniform shade, so I won't know what kind of difference it makes unless tomorrow is a nice day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty. As for the shade box, I think the burlap is working well:
    Shadebox Effect 2PM 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

It seems to admit quite a bit more light than the fabric I had chosen. I still need to actually get the parts to complete it though. Consider what's in the picture to be a proof of concept, lol.

Pretty pictures:

D Aliciae (got bored and photoshopped it a little)
    D. Aliciae 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. Adelae, with it's funky rosettes of green and red:
    D. Adelae 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis x spatulata (first flower to fully open for me)
    D. capensis x spatulata flower 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis x spatulata with its first outdoor meal:
    D. capensis x spatulata with meal 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Okay...I'm having problems here with my P. Moctezumae. It began life with me in the terrarium, where it flourished into a 6" diameter octopus. Then all of a sudden it crashed, and I've been fretting over it ever since. It's been outside now for a couple weeks, and I finally decided maybe I was experiencing the dreaded root rot, because the new growth was browning at the tips, even though they had formed after the plant had been placed in the sun. (So they -should- have been adjusted ((at least that's my experience with other CP's atm)))

I re-potted him today in what I hope is a well-draining and airy mixture, comprised of:

Red lava rock (rinsed); about 60-70%
    Chopped Lfs, tumbled with Peat / Sand; the extra 3-=40%

Nothing was compacted or pressed down, though the center, where the plants roots are, has no rocks touching it, it's just the laced lfs. It drains very quickly, and I'm hoping I can save the plant.

P. Moctezumae re-potted 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Opinions? Comments?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My P. Moctezumae is in pure peat Moss but left bone dry most of the time. Then every now and then I flood them. They do great like that, flowering and dividing. I'm sure it is saveable- good luck!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of caution with the burlap: I don't think it will leach off badly or may not even be toxic to plants, but burlap is treated with something that acts as a preservative in most cases. It you have extra try grabbing a wad and get a good nose-full. Kind of oily smelling.

Edit: I am having kind of a similar situation with the new balcony myself. It has been treated with water-seal and when it is real wet I see it a little bit on the surface of beads of water. Very lightly rainbowy in little spots. My concern is similar in that I don't want water-seal splashing onto and into my plants. I don't really have much I can do about it other than bring them in, but they are doing well so far in spite of any contact.
    Last edited by Keith; 08-06-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast