What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zath's CP Collection

Re-naming Thread and New Pics + Questions

Took some new pictures today of some fine (and not so fine) looking things.

My S. 'Mardi Gras' just opened up it's first new pitcher since I've had it. Vibrant and beautiful.
S. 'Mardi Gras' 6-21-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

My S. Minor, starting to look like it's older siblings (which are looking pretty ragged). This is essentially the only living leaf on the plant
S. Minor 6-21-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

A budding flower on my U. Calycifida 'Asenathe Waite'. Hopefully the first of many (three buds so far):
Asenathe Waite Flower 6-21-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

My VFT 'Dente'; developing it's first "toothed" traps
VFT 'dente' 6-21-14. 2png by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Even more S. Rubra weirdness. Can't it just make a single normal looking pitcher?
S. Rubra (close) 6-21-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

If you can't tell, the one on the right is crooked
S. Rubra 6-21-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And finally....something I've been seeing the last few days with increasing frequency. Maybe someone knows what they are, and if it's possible they are the cause of some of the plant deformities I've been experiencing.
Cp pest by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Yup, I would go grab the neem and give everything a once over. Caveat: it kills live sphag, so try not to get the sphag too much with the neem.

Yup, I would go grab the neem and give everything a once over. Caveat: it kills live sphag, so try not to get the sphag too much with the neem.

Alright...here's the thing. I don't have Neem Oil, and nobody locally sells it (I've looked at Wally World and Lowes, it's all I have), so I'm going to have to order it.

Which KIND of Neem Oil. I don't know what I"m doing there, and I'm seeing like 15 different products. Help?

Yep, looks like thrips damage on the minor and rubra.

Alright...here's the thing. I don't have Neem Oil, and nobody locally sells it (I've looked at Wally World and Lowes, it's all I have), so I'm going to have to order it.

Which KIND of Neem Oil. I don't know what I"m doing there, and I'm seeing like 15 different products. Help?

I use this one. It has directions... something like mix a couple tablespoons to gallon of water
neemconcentrate.jpg

Their NeemII spray is what I go to if just the neem doesn't work (it's neem + pyrethrins), and from there I escalate to Bayer rose and garden, and if that doesn't work, Sevin.

Terrarium 1.3.0

With the recent influx of plants recently, thanks to generous members of Terraforums (Shortbus and Acro this time 'round. Thanks guys), I had to seriously think about re-arranging, as my Ping was getting cramped, and I was just generally running out of room.

I think this will work for a while. At least it's starting to look like a proper CP terrarium, lol.

Everything at a glance.
Terrarium Full 6-23-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

A (somewhat dark) picture of the heating and tray-bubbler arrangement. I got lucky with the container, as it let me reduce the heater footprint to a fraction of what it was.
Terrarium Heater and Bubbler by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

I finally got around to making a little shade-tent for the U. Calycifida. It looks redneck as hell, but I think it will work, lol. Adjustable too, to make room for the flower stalk.
Utric Shade tent by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And now just some plants, yeah?

D. capensis x spatulata
D. capensis x spatulata 6-23-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

The regular D. Spatulata that I was wondering whether to divide or not (I did) :p
D. spatulata 6-23-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

I believe this one is U. Sandersonii, and might be flowering (just north of center)...or it may be grass, which has tricked me more than once, lol.
U. Sandersonii 6-23-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And a REALLY purple new leaf on the 'Yog-Sothoth' (part of the reason why I finally made the shade)
U. Calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth' 6-23-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

The P. Moctezumae is actually sitting in it's own little tray, so I can let the water level fluctuate for it, and the two nepenthes seed pots are still completely drained, sitting atop over-turned dishes.

I still have to get in there every three days or so, but I won't be splashing so much water around now, lol.

P.S. Right after I took these photos, and I mean 15 minutes after...the D. capensis from Acro's giveaway showed up. They're potted and in there as well, I just didn't feel like repeating pictures for two pots of capensis, lol. I'll let them get a little healthier looking.

Last edited:
The one zu shower is at Lowe's but not with pest control. It's with orchid / fruit tree fertilizer. Bottom line ask someone that works there help you find it. :)
Andrew

Looking good Zath! That is a flower on the U. sandersonii for sure. I just add U calycifida to the collection too and will be learning to grow that one right along with you. Fingers crossed!

Looking good Zath! That is a flower on the U. sandersonii for sure. I just add U calycifida to the collection too and will be learning to grow that one right along with you. Fingers crossed!

It seems like every time I hear a new care-tip for U. caly it's diametrically opposed to what I'm doing with them, lol. For instance, no intense light (even though the Asenath Waite kept and continued growing it's flower stalk under two 48" T8's, and despite shipping shock (may be why the stalk isn't straight at the bottom).

And while the Yog-Sothoth did lose two 'leaves', it replaced them with those little purple ones quickly. I've also heard they like highland conditions, which I'm not providing, atm. (No temp drops beyond the 10-15 degree house drop)

Not saying they're in "ideal" conditions, but I have an idea they're pretty adaptable.

Good luck with yours (and I'm not putting down anyone who gave me advice on them, either. Just making observations)

very nice, love the terrarium!

Thanks Pk. And thanks to Andy for re-naming my thread for me.

Gonna use this as a general picture thread from now on (it was becoming one anyway).

Some clearer pics

A couple of these were just taken to be clearer. I decided to set up the tripod for these to get nice pics for my records.

P. Moctezumae
P. Moctezumae 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

My cute little Burmannii. I think the one on the left is sweet on the other one. (I stare at them too long)
D. Burmannii 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis from Acro's giveaway (2 more are in a second pot)
D. capensis small by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. Aliciae
D. Aliciae 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And (I think) a much better pic of the capensis x spatulata
D. capensis x spatulata 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And a plug of U. Bisquamata
U. Bisquamata 6-24-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

When all of the dews have their dew (haha) I can start a little feeding regimen that isn't completely random.

Hey Zath, what soil mix do you have for P. moctezumae? How much water does it get?
Looks like a lot of hard work went into that terrarium!

Hey Zath, what soil mix do you have for P. moctezumae? How much water does it get?
Looks like a lot of hard work went into that terrarium!

I cheated with the Ping soil. I didn't really know what I was doing, coupled with not being able to find all the correct supplies, so it's:

Approx. 3 parts peat, 1 part play sand, 3 parts APS (well rinsed)

I don't think a person on this site would recommend that particular mix, but my particular plant seems to enjoy it. It's even flowering again, lol.

As for water, it sits in it's own little individual tray. During the summer I'm letting it fluctuate between 1"-1/4", then refill. It will be considerably less when / if the plant shifts into succulent mode. (I'm still unsure if the P. Moc does.)

Moctezumae does switch into succulent mode, but instead of producing fleshy little leaves it turns into something resembling an unopened flower bud. I couldn't really get mine out of that state. Can't say what happened to my plant after that, but I believe it's dead. I dislike growing plants that have peculiar dormancies that don't correspond cleanly with my weird Portland weather. I don't believe that it requires a dormancy, as most of my other Mexican Pinguicula have never reached succulency and if they ever do it's due to a lapse in my watering schedule. Same with my pygmy and tuberous Drosera, although my D. peltata did survive the wintry snowstorm and is coming back strong!

Last edited:
Moctezumae does switch into succulent mode, but instead of producing fleshy little leaves it turns into something resembling an unopened flower bud. I couldn't really get mine out of that state. Can't say what happened to my plant after that, but I believe it's dead. I dislike growing plants that have peculiar dormancies that don't correspond cleanly with my weird Portland weather. I don't believe that it requires a dormancy, as most of my other Mexican Pinguicula have never reached succulency and if they ever do it's due to a lapse in my watering schedule. Same with my pygmy and tuberous Drosera, although my D. peltata did survive the wintry snowstorm and is coming back strong!

It would be interesting to know what kind of light cycle you had for it, and for how long.

From what I've read, if you don't reduce the photoperiod to around 10-ish hours for a few months in the winter, what will end up happening is the plant will last for nearly two seasons in it's carnivorous phase, then switch to it's succulent phase, and not come out of it unless and until it's dormancy requirement is met. (If they start declining at that point I'm unsure, I would assume so)

That is paraphrase, of course, of a mixture between an ICPS article and a Barry Rice article.

What I'm going to try is; reducing it gradually (in a separate tank) to a 10-hour photoperiod around say, November. Then increase it back to a 14-16 hour period towards the end of February. During those four months it will receive significantly less water, and I'm probably not going to bother heating the tank unless the house gets down into the 40's (because power went out, most likely).

Of course! Photoperiods. We live on Earth, you see. Then I'm not surprised I lost it. Now that I'm back in the game of it all I'll pay closer attention. So you reduce the photoperiod gradually? Could it, do you think, be done abruptly? I'm sure there's some gadget out there that could remember for me hahaha

Of course! Photoperiods. We live on Earth, you see. Then I'm not surprised I lost it. Now that I'm back in the game of it all I'll pay closer attention. So you reduce the photoperiod gradually? Could it, do you think, be done abruptly? I'm sure there's some gadget out there that could remember for me hahaha

To be honest I haven't gotten that far. I'm not sure what the "best" way to do it is.

I was tentatively thinking of reducing it a half-hour every 4 days or so (an hour a week, basically). I'm hoping that's "gradual" enough. I've got about 5 hours to make up, so that's 5 weeks of dwindling light.

I don't mess with photoperiod at all with my Mexican Pinguicula. I simply stop watering them from November to February or March.

I don't mess with photoperiod at all with my Mexican Pinguicula. I simply stop watering them from November to February or March.

That may turn out to be the best thing. When my Sarrs went into dormancy last year, they didn't get watered for at least 3 months.

I'd be a little scared to do that with something that's still showing growth though. It'd be a psychological thing to get over, I guess.

Back