Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zath's CP Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zath's CP Collection

I decided to re-purpose one of my many empty aquariums (I'm actually an old hand at Terrarium building) into my first ever plant terrarium.

I read about other people's projects and thought about many different opinions, while also trying to stay with the KISS method. This is what I came up with:

Cleaned all the glass and plastic with vinegar & water (a corn snake had been the previous tenant), and wrapped it with a single piece of aluminum foil. Even the bottom of the tank is reflective. I plan on adding a front-flap of foil as well, as soon as the first plants are in there.

The lighting is two T8 32-watt bulbs. I wasn't 100% on what kind to buy, and heard of people getting good results with both 5000K and 2700K, so I compromised and did one of each. If that proves not to be enough, I'll consider building a custom hood frame that will accommodate two 2-foot flor. lights, totaling 4 bulbs.

The plastic container on left will be used in an attempt to culture some live sphagnum to use as top dressing, and maybe eventually as media. The pots are in anticipation of new arrivals, which I'm thinking of slack-potting. There's still some room in front for seedling-sized pots for leaf-pullings, babies, etc.

I have also ordered a glass-top for the aquarium. It should arrive well ahead of any plants.

Speaking of slack-potting...can someone please tell me if a clay pot should be "prepared" in any way before putting a cp in it? Do I need to soak it or something?
    Last edited by Zath; 06-21-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Re-named Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be something missing.......... Where are the plants ?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    There seems to be something missing.......... Where are the plants ?!
    >.< I'm anticipating them.

As a long-time owner of exotic pets, I have learned that the worst time to set up an enclosure is when you have the critter in your house. It pays off to get things ready in advance. :P

...pickin' on me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great start. I've never planted CPs in clay pots, however whenever I use them for other plants I always pre-soak them. I was taught that this was a great idea, as the first watering a large amount of the water will get soaked up by the pot...But I've never done any randomized controlled testing .

What type of plants do you intend to grow? Also- You may already have this but do you plan to have any gauges in the terrarium that display temp & relative humidity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Looks like a great start. I've never planted CPs in clay pots, however whenever I use them for other plants I always pre-soak them. I was taught that this was a great idea, as the first watering a large amount of the water will get soaked up by the pot...But I've never done any randomized controlled testing .

What type of plants do you intend to grow? Also- You may already have this but do you plan to have any gauges in the terrarium that display temp & relative humidity?
    There will likely be a couple pots of S. seeds in about a month or so, including some Darlingtonia and Psittacina, a couple Utrics, and some Nep. seeds. Cross your fingers for me and pray they're all viable.

As for gauges, I have a number of cigar humidors that could stand to lose their hygrometer, so yeah, I've got that covered. :P

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sarracenias and Darlingtonia can get their start in a terrarium but will eventually need to be outside.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Darlingtonia should be fine in terra-cotta pots but I'm not sure about for the other species. Clay pots can leach minerals into the soil and can dry out rather quickly because they are porous, although that might not be such an issue if you are growing them in a terrarium. And I agree with jimscott, the Sarracenia and Darlingtonia would do better outside once they get bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    The Darlingtonia should be fine in terra-cotta pots but I'm not sure about for the other species. Clay pots can leach minerals into the soil and can dry out rather quickly because they are porous, although that might not be such an issue if you are growing them in a terrarium. And I agree with jimscott, the Sarracenia and Darlingtonia would do better outside once they get bigger.
    I fully intend on putting out the Sarracenia and Cobra Lilies if they make it a year or so. At the moment I'll just be happy to see them germinate, lol. The darlingtonia are stratifying in the fridge, and they will be in standard drained plastic pots. I planned to use the terra-cotta pots with the Utrics, using the slack potting method. I'm going to drill / melt holes in the bottom of the two plastic pots, and I have a suitably sized plastic tray that will allow me to essentially set up a multi-pot water tray system. That's....the plan, anyway...

I finally received my Nep. seeds today and sowed them immediately. N. Reindwartiana, and N. Albomarginata (sp?)

Not very flashy plants, but since there's a high likelihood of my first attempt at these to fail...best to set expectations a little lower, perhaps.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast