Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ridiculously cheap and easy chained lighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I think sometimes people exaggerate over what kind of lighting is needed for CPs. I germinated drosera using a normal desk lamp and typical light bulb. Twice, with two different species. They germinated no better or worse than those under the grow light, and the desk lamp plants didn't really get exposure to natural light. Interesting to note, the desk lamp plants tended to be more red than the plant light ones, for unknown reasons.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    You know, I think sometimes people exaggerate over what kind of lighting is needed for CPs. I germinated drosera using a normal desk lamp and typical light bulb. Twice, with two different species. They germinated no better or worse than those under the grow light, and the desk lamp plants didn't really get exposure to natural light. Interesting to note, the desk lamp plants tended to be more red than the plant light ones, for unknown reasons.
    From the various threads I've perused dealing with the subject, the color temp of the lights have the most affect on plant coloration, the warmer, yellower lighting seeming to color them more. My fixture holds two bulbs, so I compromised and did one of each (5000k and 2700k), and my little D. Spathulata is coloring nicely at the tips of it's tendrils, as are the Burmannii, so I'd have to think there's something to that.

Of course lumens do play a part as the enclosures get bigger and bigger, or if they're non-reflective, as more light is escaping or being absorbed by something other than the plants.

...at least, that's my take on it. I don't want to sound like I think I know everything about it, far from it. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With fluorescent tubes I always go with one blue tube (6500K) and one pink tube (2700-ish?) if I have the option. That covers the two parts of the spectrum plants appreciate most (450nm and 650nm) and together they balance out to a very pleasing white light so your grow chamber doesn't look like an arctic wasteland or like the fry bin at Burger King.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12