Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backyard Bog-In-Progress.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts on trying Darlingtonia in this bog? I have never had them before. Everything I have read says "keep the soil cool" I can take soil temps from my existing bog, and see where we stand.

How cool is cool? I live in Zone 5. Distilled water ice cubes aren't out of the question on hot days, but I don't want it to have to be necessary every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coastal form is out of the question, but the mountain form is probably hardy enough.
    Day temperature isn't as important for mountain plants as night temperature is. If the temp at night in summer is 65* or less, it should be fine, at least temperature wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we do get nights here that are warmer than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using only Peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peat/sand mix. But mostly peat.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    Any thoughts on trying Darlingtonia in this bog? I have never had them before. Everything I have read says "keep the soil cool" I can take soil temps from my existing bog, and see where we stand.

How cool is cool? I live in Zone 5. Distilled water ice cubes aren't out of the question on hot days, but I don't want it to have to be necessary every day.
    My experience is that an established plant can take the summer heat. Decent depth of soil will help insulate them from excessive heat. As to VFT's and letting them go to seed, full sun gives them the energy they need. It's the ones that are inside that don't get enough energy and promptly die. I just moved my cobra lily to a 5 gallon bucket:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, where the bog is in my yard, the pond form is dug straight into the ground, so soil depth within the pond is probably ~20". But that's sitting straight in the earth, so it can draw upon the thermal mass of the entire surrounding area = stable soil temps.

It's also in one of the lower areas in my yard, which is never dry, and tends to be the only part of my yard that gets ANY breeze at all, so despite being full sun, it doesn't get baked. I chose that spot for those reasons (high water table, moist surroundings, breeze, and full sun).

I might give it a shot and order some.

They could survive a zone 5 winter outdoors if covered and heavily mulched, right? I'm of the mind to believe that if my Sarrs can do it, so can a Darlingtonia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, getting ready to transplant all the plants into the new bog next week.

Also all set to order some seeds for cold-temperate CP's that can survive (with a little help) a zone 5 winter. My intention is to sprinkle the seeds on the soil, and allow them to stratify naturally over the winter as they would in the wild. Hopefully, when I pull the tarps/lid/mulch off the bog come spring, I will have new plants sprouting!

Seeds I am currently perusing:

Darlingtonia californica

Sarracenia oreophila (Any Sarr, really, these are just one I don't have that is available.)

Drosera rotundifolia
    D. intermedia
    D. filiformis
    D. anglica
    D. binata (possibly)

Pinguicula vulgaris
    P. balcanica
    P. poldinii
    P. grandiflora
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast