Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bog is going to look awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    Last year, I decided to buy a Rubbermaid style plastic tote, sink it in the ground, and put Sarracenias and VFT's in it. It worked great, but looked a little too redneck... for my tastes anyways. Come fall, I trimmed off the taller pitchers, and put the lid on the tote, and buried it under a mountain of mulch.
    Impressive results, I'm curious about this as this is something I can literally do tomorrow. Can you provide more details?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you like to know?

Materials needed for bog:
    1 rubbermaid style tote with lid. Bigger is better - Mine is probably a 20 gallon, or something similar. Probably close to 18" deep, too.
    Bog Soil mix of your choice. I used almost entirely sphagnum peat, with a little sand in it.

Dig a hole the size of your tote.

Put tote in hole.

Fill tote with bog soil and water CP safe water to settle it in.

Once the soil is pretty settled, drill or poke holes at or slightly below bog soil level to prevent your bog from getting too wet. This lets excess water drain out so your plants aren't flooded. I put no drainage holes below this, so the soil in the bog will generally remain moist. Unless you have a drought, it won't require watering much, if at all.

Add plants. I have assorted Sarracenias and VFT's. (S. purpurea, S. psitticina, S. leucophylla 'Tarnok', S. alata, S. Minor, and a few VFT's.)

You may wish to fence in your bog - I have wildlife that is not plant-friendly here, so I made a removable cage that goes over top of it. Make it tall enough to accomodate any plants you plan on sticking in your bog. Some Sarrs get pretty tall!

You need:
    Cage/fence mesh. I used something called Hardware Cloth - it has 1/2" holes, so only insects can get through.

It is stapled to a frame made from 2x2's. It fits neatly over my bog, and keeps deer, rabbits, coons, cats, groundhogs, etc out of it.

If your plants are used to outdoor living, plant them at any time during their active growing season. If they are coming from a terrarium or indoor location, acclimate them during late spring or early summer, and plant them then.

To winterize: Around the time cold weather (frosts) start to happen, and your plants have gone dormant, stop watering. Cut down pitchers (Fun to dissect them and see what your Sarrs ate). Where I live in Zone 5, this is around the fall equinox.

Place tote lid on your bin. Cover with mulch. More is better. If you are an avid gardener, most garden centers offer it on sale this time of year. I simply stacked the bags on top of my bin, and left them there all winter. Then in spring, you have bags of mulch ready to use. No mess, No fuss!

If you have a bin without a lid, you can always place boards over it, followed by a tarp, upon which you place loose or bagged mulch for the winter months.

Mainly, you want the mulch over your plants, without crushing them into the dirt!

In the spring, I had to dig it out in layers. I could remove one bag of mulch, and the underlying ones were frozen solid. I had to let them thaw in the sunlight for a day or two before removing the next layer. Start excavating when the days are warm enough to go outside without a parka and not get hypothermia. Here, that is usually mid march, though I could probably have done it sooner. When I opened it up in the spring, pale, light-deprived new leaves greeted me.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cobras would be worth a try. I think the mountain form will perform well for you. I have these plants in containers with recirculating water. They see much warmer temperatures than are recommended by conventional wisdom and thrive.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on the fence about trying Cobra Lilies. I really wanna try them out though.

I should take soil temps a few times a day (and night) for a few days during a heat wave, and see where I stand.
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, getting closer. Planning on moving everyone that is NOT in flower this week. Have some new acquisitions to add to it as well.

This is the bog they are moving into (had some additions, and the blue between the rocks is grass seed)

This picture is taken standing South of the bog, looking North. The northern edge is planted with Iris, and other tall flowers, that won't cast shade on the bog. Sides are planted with Coral Bells, and short plants.
    _________
    Here is the current bog: (S. leucophylla 'tarnok', S. psitticina, S. minor, S. alata, S. purpurea, and 3x VFT - Normals)

_________
    New Acquisitions, from left to right, approximately:
    In the large, square tray on the left:
    (S. flava normal, S. flava rubicorpa, S. leucophylla 'Titan', S. purpurea purpurea, from online supplier)
    (2 S. unknowns, and 2 VFTs from death boxes)

Next to that:
    (S. dana's delight and S. rubra - courtesy of jimscott),
    Far right:
    (and another S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' - from online supplier)

Last edited by Dragoness; 07-28-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously, taller plants (most sarrs) will be in the back of the bog, where shorter plants (S. psitticina, VFTs, and any Pings of Dews I get ) will be in front, to keep plants from shading each other out.

Pretty sure a few of these plants could spare a division, so watch the trading post
    -Bradley Miller-

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra lilies aren't as bad as they are purported to be. Once established, they can tolerate temps in the 90's:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast