Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Backyard Bog-In-Progress.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backyard Bog-In-Progress.

Last year, I decided to buy a Rubbermaid style plastic tote, sink it in the ground, and put Sarracenias and VFT's in it. It worked great, but looked a little too redneck... for my tastes anyways. Come fall, I trimmed off the taller pitchers, and put the lid on the tote, and buried it under a mountain of mulch.

This last winter was breaking records for prolonged cold temps, snowfall, etc. When spring finally rolled around, I was nervous about pulling the lid off - not sure what i would find, a pile of dried and decayed plants?

No, not at all. They were alive, and quite upset with me for waiting so long to get that lid off. Pale new leaves were coming up on most, if not all, of the plants. Nobody died despite week-long snaps of -20F weather. These pics were taken the day the lid was lifted.

This spring, My grandmother called to ask if I wanted the pond out of her garden. She was having knee surgery, and with declining mobility, would no longer be able to maintain it. For the price of some (not much) elbow grease, it was mine, along with the stones she used to cover the border.

Dug it in last week, and started filling it with Sphagnum, peat and sand.

Currently, I have 2 S. leucophylla (arguably my favorites) an S. psitticina, S. minor, and S. alata, and an S. purpurea, along with about 3 VFT's awaiting transplant. Will probably have to make a larger cover for this bog to keep everyone from getting frozen. Maybe a kiddie wading pool.

I'll share pics as soon as I can figure out resizing. My camera takes huge pics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This picture was taken a few days ago. Most of the plants have been pitchering up a storm. The VFT's have been a little slower to take off, but have finally picked up the pace. One is getting ready to flower, and I'm of a mind to let it set seed in the bog.

This is their future home - about ten feet from where they are now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the plants growing in the bog:

Sarracenia purpurea

Sarracenia psitticina

Sarracenia leucophylla 'tarnok' flower.

Sarracenia alata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those are nice. Really impressed that you got those to survive -20* conditions. Especially the psittacina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S. minor has been the slowest to grow this spring, but it does have a pitcher or two up now. psitticina, alata, and purpurea have all gone bonkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's going to look really nice once everything settles in. That's precisely the kind of setup I'd like to have one day, if I ever have water to spare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect rainwater. The way the roof of my house runs, a single downspout (there are only 2 on the house) collects about 2/3 of all the water that hits my roof. The barrel is 55 gallons. A light drizzle will fill it up in just a few hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put most of the rest of the sphagnum peat in there today, along with some of the washed sand. It's almost full. I just need a good rain to moisten the stuff, and settle it in. I could do it, but that would be too much like work, lol. Very likely to get rain in the next few days anyways, so I'll wait. Reluctant to move plants while in flower, too.

After the dirt is wet, and the plants are done flowering, I intend to move them, and as much of their current bog dirt as will fit. Planning on using a few of the wider, flatter stones to make a kind of terrace/dam to dig out a lower, wetter, section of the bog, where I could grow some Utrics. Or would I be better off sinking a non-draining pot into the bog for that purpose?

Today's progress:
    Last edited by Dragoness; 06-20-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast