Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tray-Water Changes and Cleaning

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the problem, a lot of other applications where they shouldn't be and the results are misinterpreted. It's not just opinion, that is a fact.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno what to tell you, your meaning of fact is far from mine and the a lot of third party sources, the meaning of the word for instance.

Telling me where I should and should not use a give tool is silly, if I understand the tool, how it functions and what the reading mean, if you want to be helpful in this thread please add to why using a TDS meter is a bad idea or a better way to use the meter. Not just a , explain.

Look into how TDS meters are being using in hydroponics and aquaculture.

The intention of a TDS meter is to well...measure Total Dissolved Solids in a solution...NOT monitor RO membranes. They are being used to monitor membranes because they work really well for that purpose. This is a fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that this is a touchy subject, and I've seen it discussed before.

The majority of what I'm hearing is that it's not important, with one or two people saying they clean them occasionally (once / twice a year)

If there's no additional input that isn't an argument, I think the thread has served it's purpose. Thank you to everyone that answered. It gave me some things to think about.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked a tray and got a TDS reading of 243. Please tell me what it means.
    Fred

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    It seems that this is a touchy subject, and I've seen it discussed before.

The majority of what I'm hearing is that it's not important, with one or two people saying they clean them occasionally (once / twice a year)

If there's no additional input that isn't an argument, I think the thread has served it's purpose. Thank you to everyone that answered. It gave me some things to think about.
    I think that's the best way for this to end, if I have offended fredg in any way it was not an intent. I will be taking a break from TF forums for a while, a few have spoiled the bunch as its said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I just checked a tray and got a TDS reading of 243. Please tell me what it means.
    It means there's 243 ppm of something dissolved in the water. Judging from the pics you post of your plants I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a lot of bad stuff like sodium, calcium, or chloride ions.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely my point, the result is meaningless. That tray contains live sphagnum , perlite and a very very happy Darlingtonia.

edit:- and rainwater ( with the odd disolved slug and worm in it)
    Last edited by fredg; 06-22-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Dose a sample of zero water to half that 243 with sodium chloride and see what happens...............
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123