Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tray-Water Changes and Cleaning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tray-Water Changes and Cleaning

At this point I've accumulated enough plants to where individual trays are no longer efficient / feasible, so I've moved several plants into communal trays.

Some (most) of the plants are recently re-potted into new media, so there's plenty of run-off and leeching: the water can turn yellow after a couple days, etc.

So I'm curious as to how often I should dump it out and rinse it, as opposed to just topping off water-loss? I'm sure people have different methods, so hearing a few different perspectives and anecdotes will help. Right now, about once a week I'll dump the tray and give them a good rinsing with the sprayer attachment on the sink before re-filling them with new distilled water.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now let's see. The Sarracenia lagoons I last recovered about 6 years ago. I give them a brush out about every couple of years. Why do you need to dump the trays at all? There's nothing in there you weren't quite happy to have your plants in at the start.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Now let's see. The Sarracenia lagoons I last recovered about 6 years ago. I give them a brush out about every couple of years. Why do you need to dump the trays at all? There's nothing in there you weren't quite happy to have your plants in at the start.
    I'm pretty lax about rinsing / washing soil. It bothers me that the water becomes colored, is all. Or that algae will start growing in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa Fred.....way to much work for me ! I can't EVER remember washing out a tray !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?

Geez...why can't I stop over-thinking this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never rinsed / washed peat. The only part of my current mix I wash is a granite grit, to get rid of the china clay in it. Algae will feed on any nutrients present, isn't that what you want?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never rinsed / washed peat. The only part of my current mix I wash is a granite grit, to get rid of the china clay in it. Algae will feed on any nutrients present, isn't that what you want?
    Huh...I didn't think of it that way. I guess so. I took algae to mean there were -too many- nutrients, and I need to flush the pots and change the water more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never rinsed / washed peat.
    Ditto. I've said it before and I'll say it again.......The day I have to wash "dirt" is the day I stop growing these plants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast