Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to set up a 10 gallon terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to set up a 10 gallon terrarium

Hello, it's been quite a while since I have posted on this forum, Ive become pretty busy/stressed out with college and working in between semesters, Im glad to be back though . Unfortunately most of my CPs didn't make it through this past year , but Im going to try my hand at them again (hopefully with better results this time around). This time Im going to try growing some in a terrarium (Ive wanted to build a terrarium for quite a while anyways); Im thinking of growing various Utricularia (I currently have U. flava and U. calycifida), smaller Drosera and Pinguicula, and I'd love to try my hand at Heliamphora again and maybe a Cephalotus; Im not too sure with the compatibility of these plant's growing conditions though. So far I only have a 10 gallon terrarium and a stand I have made from eggcrate...

At the very least I need to work out lighting and humidity. I want to try my hand at building an LED grow light, probably using the MakersLED heatsink kit, Im just not too sure how many LEDs I should use (Im leaning towards using Cree XM-L2 cool and warm white LEDs and maybe some Luxeon Rebel red and blue LEDs as well). As for humidity Im a bit lost; I've seen people use ultrasonic humidifiers made for rooms (rigged into their terraria with hoses) as well as smaller ultrasonic humidifiers made for keeping reptiles; unfortunately I don't think I have the space to set up a room humidifier, and Ive read that the reptile humidifiers don't last very long. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Pk93; 06-29-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say anything about your lighting one way or the other, but as for humidity, I just cut a piece of thin plexiglass out for the lid (with scissors, no less), and a couple notches for my fingers, and one for cords. During the day humidity stays pretty locked in at 80%. It goes down to about 67-70 when the lights are off. I don't add anything extra, just the water trays and the tub my aquarium heater sits in.
    Last edited by Zath; 06-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'll have to look into making a plexiglass lid; by chance, do you know how thin the plexiglass you used is?
    Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pk93 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'll have to look into making a plexiglass lid; by chance, do you know how thin the plexiglass you used is?
    Thanks again!
    It didn't say, but I'm thinking it was no thicker than .031 (1/32"). You need something a little more serious than craft scissors to cut anything thicker, I would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI Utricularia flava is now Utricularia chrysantha. I can tell you that both that species and U. calycifida are quite tolerant of a wide range of conditions, but U. calycifida likes it on the cooler side (like highland Neps), in my experience. Others may have different experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Zath and NatchGreyes! I'll have to look around for some thinner plexiglass .
    woops, I accidentally wrote U. flava instead of U. fulva >_<; nice to know current nomenclature if I ever run into U. flava (U. chrysantha). Thanks for the culture tips too .
    Last edited by Pk93; 06-23-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with plexiglass as lids for high-humidity terrariums (for poison dart frogs) is that they warp in a matter of weeks. Did you do anything special to avoid that, Zath? In the end, I went with making something like this, and it's worked great. Good luck! Hope this helps.

-CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    My experience with plexiglass as lids for high-humidity terrariums (for poison dart frogs) is that they warp in a matter of weeks. Did you do anything special to avoid that, Zath? In the end, I went with making something like this, and it's worked great. Good luck! Hope this helps.

-CJ
    I didn't do anything special. I was looking into making a glass top, but I needed something right then, not three or four days from then, lol. My next (probably 40-gallon) build will include a custom hood with glass panels.

If the plexi on my 20 gal. warps to the point of being unusable, I'll cut a new one. The sheets are large, and I believe I can get two lids out of each one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast