Thread: Possible LED layout

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    This is *fascinating*!...
    I agree! I've never seen such detailed attention to photosynthetic input for carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!
    Sorry for the late response, I included the violet LEDs to try and provide more wavelengths of light that plants absorb during photosynthesis, the light given off by the violet LEDs may not be utilized as much as blue or red light, but I think it might be beneficial to cover more of the spectrum; I have included the turquoise (just realized the typo in the attached picture.. I also forgot to include the wavelength for the royal blue LEDs ) and green LEDs in the picture mostly for display/aesthetic purposes (I want the plants to still look somewhat green while the lamp is on), however, I read here that green light is important for canopy penetration..
    I have yet to order anything since Im still trying to figure out how many of each LED to include and how I want to organize them on the heat sink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After some further reading, I think I need to reduce the amount of LEDs I have planned for the lamp if I am going to set the fixture on the top of my terrarium like I had planned; the plants will probably be 4-8 inches beneath the LEDs..
    I could probably use the same amount of LEDs but run them at a lower current, but Im not sure if that would make much sense..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using reflectors?
    I found this little thing at a tropical fish store near me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124993...7/14406311468/
    It's a strip of LED lights to be plugged into a fixture. Gives red spectrum light. I'm guessing I could combine strips of different colors to match the requirements of my Drosera.
    I confess that I find it very difficult to follow units of light measurement.
    Apparently there has been some success growing Dionaea with LEDs on this thread from 2009: http://icps.proboards.com/thread/2932?page=1

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED's are getting quite common. If you have a local hydroponics/grow room store, you'll find tons of them there. I know the local one carries them, but they sell these whopping huge fixtures that are ridiculously expensive! Not to say I haven't considered them, just that I am waiting for prices to come down.

Many hardware stores now also sell LED's in many formats - cables that are fairly weatherproof for indoor/outdoor use, available in different colors for the sake of being 'festive'. I don't know how well those might work in combination with other lights, but they are really affordable, and I do use them to illuminate one of my nicer snake cages.

That said, I have done some reading about the value of different wavelengths of light (which translates into different colors - only some of which are visible to the human eye.)
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe China sells knockoff varieties for cheap. ...not that I endorse Chinese knockoffs.
    I have a good command of the color spectrum measurement units (kelvin and amplitude per color, what these mean to plants) and I feel that anything that gives good blue and red-yellow light should be great for sundews, but this conclusion is arrived at solely on account of hearsay and I have nothing scientific to say about exactly why.
    I've noted that many LED fixtures available for fish tanks are composed of about 10% useless display lighting.
    While we're at it, ultraviolet wavelengths may be valuable for plants coming from higher altitudes where ultraviolet light hasn't yet dissipated. Google reveals that ultraviolet LEDs exist.
    Last edited by Apollonian; 07-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollonian, since I plan on having my lights pretty close to my plants, I don't think I will be using lenses/reflectors as they might inhibit the the light from blending. Those LED strips might work, but you would need to find out the wavelengths of light they give off; if they are made for planted tanks they might work, but if they are made for rearing coral, they probably wouldn't be very efficient for growing plants. I don't know anything about the Chinese LED "knockoffs" but I assume you get what you pay for (not always true of course). I think you would want to include deep red LEDs (660nm), royal blue LEDs (450nm), then other other LEDs to cover more of the light spectrum (even green for canopy penetration).

Dragoness, I really need to make it down to a hydroponics store one day, I wonder if some sell individual LEDs (mounted).. Im not sure if the LEDs at most hardware stores would be fit to grow plants (especially plants that require high amounts of light)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no LED expert but I'm still very confused when I read over this thread, what LED types are you planning on using? The local pet store LED pre-made strips/bars are no where near the intensity of the CREE XP-G, Phillips rebel, ect. I've never seen a positive response to there strips/bars use besides adding some reds/blues to existing T5/T8/CFL setups. I can tell you from experience that I can stare into one of those 100 bulb LED fixtures and its annoying, if I stared into 4 of the CREE XP-Gs I'm using I would be seeing "sun spots" for a while. They are not in the same class of lighting.

Not all LEDs are created equal, you have to do your reading.

With such a small area a blend of the white LEDs would be better imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast