Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible LED layout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible LED layout

Hello,
    Im trying to figure out the layout for a LED grow light Im going to build for a 10 gallon terrarium; so far, Ive read quite a bit of conflicting opinions on the matter. I think Im set on including both colored and white LEDs; Ive drafted a possible layout, Im just not sure whether to include green or violet LEDs, or if this layout would even be satisfactory for growing carnivorous plants...
    LED-layout
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED reply

Hello. I am seriously into LED lighting for reef aquariums and now CP's. I recommend the following "colors" if you get them from the right source. The source is RapidLED.com. First off... you're going the wrong way to look for "colors." The deal is wave length. Wave lengths for plants go from 400nm to 700nm... same wave length span for live coral reef aquaria. The wave lengths sold by RapidLED meeting these plant requirements are cool white; royal blue; ultra violet; red and green. One string of 14, 3 watt Cree LED's will work off one 15 dollar ballast. Each Cree LED costs 5 dollars. I have 60, 3 watt Cree's on one of my CP
    terrariums... a 40 gallon open top standard issue fish tank and 27, 3 watt Cree LED's on a reptile tank I use solely for CP's. Everything is growing and flowering nicely and has been for a year now. Anyway, do include ultra violet and green in your layout. Look at the spec data on that site and look up what wave lengths plant need to floursh and you'll see what I'm saying. You should go for the 80 degree lenses or you'll
    ' spot light ' with anything smaller. This company is great on support... you can call them up and get top rated tech advice. The drawback is that LED technology is not cheap. The layout you show needs to be re-thought out. I see only 2 whites which is not enough... the blues and reds will dominate and it wont look like your plants are outside in the sun... your 10 gallon guy will look synthetic. Contact me if you need further help.
    Last edited by Mike66; 06-28-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the upcoming ICPS conference in Cairns there will be an overview on growing CPs with LEDs. I've heard that a few commercial friends of mine are planning a major switch to them. I'll consider it, but until I *see* results, I'm not sold. I'm curious PK93: what made you decide to go with LEDs? And Mike66: do you have a picture of the layout? Plants? The switch to LEDs might be the next best thing since I made my T5 setup.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some info from the CREE LEDs http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ut!?highlight=

Some more info from the CREE "moonlight" kits http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...phs?highlight=

More info from the CREE "moonlight" kits http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...log?highlight=

And even more info from the "moonlight" kits http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...un!?highlight=

Page 11 from http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ing-101/page11

Pretty much covered everything I know about LEDs, I'm still very happy with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!
    Mike66, I looked into the wavelengths of the LEDs and tried to choose LEDs that would match the wavelengths of light absorbed by plants most during photosynthesis and was considering green (I read it was beneficial somewhere on this forum I think, I just can't remember where) and violet, I listed the wavelengths for each LED in the picture I attached, however I don't think I attached the picture correctly because it is displayed rather small and a portion of it was cropped off, my apologies. Thanks for the source too, they carry some LEDs that the other sources I was looking at didn't have, I'll definitely consider them!
    Apollonian, I like the option of customization (the heat sink Im going to use will allow me to edit the layout of the LEDs or add/subtract LEDS if I need to), being able to control which LEDs I want to include (and in turn which wavelengths of light), and that they should be much more efficient than other available light sources (other than the sun, that is )
    .. I actually drafted another possible layout today, I think this one might be better..

Woohoo, I attached the picture correctly this time!!
    Last edited by Pk93; 06-28-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is *fascinating*! So you can control wavelength output of a layout by opting certain bulbs, and these bulbs are apparently easy to secure on the market... I am definitely looking forward to hearing the talk in Oz about all this.
    I could ask which bulbs seem to be most beneficial to which plants, but observing that you've got a lot of different colored/wavelength bulbs per layout, then I'd say it requires several bulbs to satisfy a plant, which would make sense, assuming that plants need multiple wavelengths to survive. Am I on the right track? Are you using reflectors?
    *Edit* Just went through those links. I'm really impressed! My cephalotus could really use the help. It looks like a new experiment is in order...
    Last edited by Apollonian; 06-28-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollonian, I think so too! Yes, since different types of LEDs produce light of different wavelengths, you can choose which wavelengths of light to include on your fixture (white light includes many wavelengths along the spectrum of visible light). Do you know if the talk is going to be filmed/streamed onto the internet? I wish I knew which lights are best for which plants, it would really help; Im not sure if there is even any research on the subject that has been made public .
    RSS, sorry for not responding to your reply, I somehow failed to see it . I've read some of those posts before and they have certainly helped, thank you! Your plants look like they are really doing well under the LEDs too. I think Im going to have to figure out how to raise my fixture once I build it (as opposed to just having it sit on the lid of the terrarium), seeing as some of the plants Im going to set on a false bottom I have built won't be more than 3 inches away from the lid (I suppose I could shorten the false bottom); a picture of the false bottom in the terrarium can be found here
    Last edited by Pk93; 06-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you using purple, turqoise and green? As most plant lights use deep red and royal blue. Haven't heard that plants benefit from those extra wavelengths. I myself have built led lights, with only 660 nm red, 452 nm vlue and cool white 6500 K for visual reasons. The results are very good.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast