Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highland Terrarium Help

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow dude thats a nice setup. Im going to have to really get deep in experimenting with cooling methods. For now, Im definitely going to experiment with icecubes, as I have a list of chores with my other setups that I have to tend to every night as well, like feeding the newts and checking the Obesa. and Vra.. is that an nepenthes aristolochioides I see snaking up towards the lights?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Regarding ice cubes, they will only help in cooling the media and roots of the plant, While this is of benefit to D. californica . Most highland neps need both the plant biomass and the media/roots to become cool at night. When I first started off with Nepenthes, I grew them in a lowes indoor greenhouse shelf. I used to use frozen water bottles to cool my plants at night. The setup worked very well, I was able to grow N. hamata, N. villosa, N. rajah, N. argentii among others successfully during that time.

PS: bottle beside the plant doesn't help. suspend them above the plants so that the cool air falls on them.
    Last edited by vraev; 07-05-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning to set the coldness above them, but wow man that shelf looks nice. Blows what I had in mind out of the water. Did you have a lighting setup inside the greenhouse tent as well?
    And thank you so much for all of this info. It is very much needed and appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help.

I used to have lights inside and outside the greenhouse. Inside the highland shelf at the bottom was lit by a 24" 2 tube T8 light and outside there was a 26watt 6500K Philips CFL. The top shelf had lowland Nepenthes and was lit by a CFL outside and a single T8 GE tube fixture. It was functional and worked very well. In fact it was less adjustments and work than my big tanks. This thing grew my highland plants very well/

Last edited by vraev; 07-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With those bulbs in the greenhouse - how long did they stay in there? It was my understanding that light fixtures and such didnt do very well with high humidity/temperatures, but this may prove me dead wrong.
    Also, would a t5 or t8 setup be better suited for this environment?

I really like this setup and would like to construct one just like it. Ample amount of space and growing room for neps.
    Last edited by NemJones; 07-06-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bulbs fare ok. I had that setup for 3y....and they didn't die on me. The bulbs were in there 24/7. However, the T8 fixture used to light the highland shelf did get rusted. I threw it away after 3y and used a new one for my new smaller tank.

Yup... nothing beats that greenhouse setup for cost, growing space and ease of maintenance. Tanks are a tremendous main to empty out the water and clean up the marks on the glass. It would take me 2-3h to clean my two big tanks.

Regd choice of bulbs.. for neps, as you can see, a T8 fixture is good. In hindsight, if I was to re-do my setup, I would use zip ties to suspend fixtures for each shelf. And at that height, T8 should be more than enough light. But be careful about temps. I also used to cut a big hole at top like a chimney to draw out the hot air. Grow the highlands at the lowest two racks and more heat hardy plants like sundews or lowland/intermediate naps on the top two shelves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a FYI,

V is very modest.... he has been there and done that and then did it again.
    If anything, he tends to over analyze (hehehehe inside joke between very old friends)

good to see ya back V,

;-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 07-06-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Just a FYI,

V is very modest.... he has been there and done that and then did it again.
    If anything, he tends to over analyze (hehehehe inside joke between very old friends)

good to see ya back V,

;-)
    Well...I was taught by my friend the professor from Kentucky.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast