Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Highland Terrarium Help

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland Terrarium Help

Hey guys, im here today asking for help or any pointers about making a Highland Nepenthes terrarium, as I am on the verge of buying a Hamata, and if I ever get lucky enough, an Edwardsiana.

So is there anything in particular that I need for this setup? Im aware that the Highlanders need 70% or more humidity, and a surplus of light. (Are grow bulbs suitable for them?)

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by NemJones; 06-29-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My highland chamber is made of 1" PVC pipe and 2 millimeter painter's plastic sheeting. It is about 3' tall x 4' long x 2' deep. It is open in the back, and in front of a window to allow for a window mounted AC unit to cool the chamber at night. There is a layer of sphagnum moss at the bottom to hold in humidity, and I use an ExoTerra Monsoon RS-400 misting system. This setup has allowed me to grow many highland Nepenthes very easily.

There is also some great advice here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...mber-Decisions

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to chime in and ask anyone with HL Nep terrariums to post some pictures. I can't feasibly do a greenhouse, but a terrerium is a possibility I can work towards, and it would be nice to see what other people have done that works.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bio that the first time someone has referenced that thread in a while.

@NemJones: I would recommend doing a whole lot of research before investing in the plants you have mentioned. I purchased a hamata before I was ready to grow one. It was a very disappointing experience when it died. You should make sure that you have stable, appropriate conditions for the plants. If you haven't had much experience growing nepenthes, you should start out with some of the more common varieties and experiment. Make sure that the plants you have are doing well and you don't get have any issues with temperature, humidity, pests, etc. If you feel like you have a good handle after a while (a few months) then you could pull the trigger on one of the rarer plants.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    I'd like to chime in and ask anyone with HL Nep terrariums to post some pictures. I can't feasibly do a greenhouse, but a terrerium is a possibility I can work towards, and it would be nice to see what other people have done that works.
    You can go big like this or bigger with custom tanks from glasscages.com

Or go with an off the shelf tank from exoterra

Build instructions and details here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-my-old-plants

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bio, after much thought im going to try a truncata and maybe some spectabilis first. And vra, thats tank setup is absolutely epic dude. I read the link you posted, but I didnt see what you said you were using to cool this system. im trying to follow a terrarium setup just like this one, but with a 20 gallon tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vraev,are those air plants in the background , or what type of plants are they??

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    Bio, after much thought im going to try a truncata and maybe some spectabilis first. And vra, thats tank setup is absolutely epic dude. I read the link you posted, but I didnt see what you said you were using to cool this system. im trying to follow a terrarium setup just like this one, but with a 20 gallon tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Cooling which setup? The first one? I used to use 4xT5 + 2XT8 initially and then upgraded to 8 x T5. The cooling needs were massive. During summer, I used to use an airconditioner to pump in 60F air into the tank while I struggled outside in my bedroom at over 85F at nights.

AC cooling:

But during winter, I used to vent in cold sub 0 degree air into the tank through a humidifier output. For the most part, it worked well for over 4y and then one night, temps went below -40C early Jan 2012 and almost all my plants froze.

The second setup is my current one with the leftovers. I don't cool it with anything. It is located in my basement which tends to remain in the 60s all season round.

Quote Originally Posted by FBImurders View Post
    vraev,are those air plants in the background , or what type of plants are they??
    If you mean in the second setup...those are actually catopsis seedlings that I germinated. The others are all mini orchids. Same in the nepenthes tank from my old setup.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast